[S-R] Re: Trip to Aloshalas Slovakia

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      (and his wife Anna Siwak) and Nizna Rybnica I would be very
      grateful.

      It doesn't sound like you have researched any of the church records.
      They are available to you in NEW Jersey. It will cost you about $5.

      CENTER (FHC)

      LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and
      deaths for Nižná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or
      Alsóhalas), Ung, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce,
      Slovakia, formerly Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance,
      Slovakia, formerly Szobránc, Ung, Hungary.

      Krstení 1821-1848 Zomrelí 1820-1848 Sobášení 1823-1849 Krstení 1849-
      1852 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 5-6 ]

      Krstení 1853-1890 Zomrelí 1848-1890 Sobášení 1850-1890 Krstení 1891-
      1910 Zomrelí 1891-1909 Sobášení 1891-1909 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792926
      Items 1-2 ]

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.

      >>> If nothing else, we just hoped to walk the streets and know that
      we were making a connection with the past... <<<

      In Nizna Rybica, there is ONE street and it is about ONE mile long.
      If you have gone that far and are into wine, there are wineries that
      could be visited at Tibava and Orechova. Michalovce is worth a day,
      unless you tie in with the cousins that you have found there and
      have reason to extend your stay. The hotel I suggested is on the
      main walking mall and that walk is good for about an hour. On a fine
      afternoon, a beer in the outdoor patio of the hotel is enjoyable.

      Best to get crackin' on those church records. AFTER that, you might
      want to get Mick Sura to make some phone calls to Michalovce on your
      behalf. No need to pay Mick to do what you can do perfectly well by
      yourself.