Szinna, Zemplen, Upper Hungary

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
      Has anyone in the group researched family from Szinna (now Snina, Sk.).

      I ask because the films in the LDS films of the Roman Catholic Church
      records from this town do not appear to have the marriage records for
      the years after 1845 (they do have the marriage records for 1783 to
      1845). However, they do have the baptism and death records for the
      later years, but without the marriage records, it is very difficult to
      trace a family line back. Does anyone know if these records exist and
      if the LDS just missed filming them.

      stuck for now in the records,
      Carl Kotlarchik
    • sabolj@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
        There is a record gap after 1845 in the Snina records. Documentation at
        the Snina church indicates that some records were destroyed either
        during WWI or WWII. However, there is a duplicate set of records (known
        as a bishop's set) at the Hungarian archives in Satoralyaujhely. These
        records have not been microfilmed by the LDS church, so you would have
        to hire a researcher to look at the records there.

        However, I seem to remember later marriage records, and I think there
        are actually four films, not three as noted on the LDS website. I have
        forwarded your message to two cousins of mine who are also researching
        in Snina (actually Snina and Bela nad Cirochou)

        What names are you looking for in Snina? Kotlarchik?

        Has anyone in the group researched family from Szinna (now Snina,
        Sk.).

        I ask because the films in the LDS films of the Roman Catholic Church
        records from this town do not appear to have the marriage records for
        the years after 1845 (they do have the marriage records for 1783 to
        1845). However, they do have the baptism and death records for the
        later years, but without the marriage records, it is very difficult to
        trace a family line back. Does anyone know if these records exist and
        if the LDS just missed filming them.

        stuck for now in the records,
        Carl Kotlarchik

        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • sabolj@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
          I just confirmed that there are no marriage records after 1845. But, as
          I mentioned earlier, there are marriage records for later years at the
          Satoraljaujhely Archives. Archivists there speak only Hungarian,
          Russian or German.

          John Sabol

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
            >>> there is a duplicate set of records (known as a bishop's set) at
            the Hungarian archives in Satoralyaujhely. <<<

            Mick Sura sometimes travels to Satoraljaujhely to do research at the
            archive.
          • John Venham
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
              Mr. Kotlarchik,

              I am an American studying in Hungary, and have
              researched my own family at the Satoraljaujhely
              archive. I'd be happy to go check the records for
              you. Just pass along the relevent details.

              Sincerely,

              John

              "The Journey is the Reward"

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Carl Kotlarchik
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                Thanks very much for the information about the duplicate records at
                Satoralyaujhely. You also indicate there may be a fourth LDS film
                which is not listed at the website. How would one go about finding
                this film if it is not in the catalog?

                The family names that I am researching from Snina are: Kepics
                (Kepic^, Kepich) Legencza, Terpak, and Lojan. All four families
                were Roman Catholic.

                I do have the baptism documents for Matej (or Matyas) Kepic who was
                born in 1872 and his wife Karolina Legencza who was born in 1879.
                These documents list their parents as well.
                So, I have ordered the film that has the earlier baptism records and
                the films for the 1869 census in the hope that I can somehow trace
                back to where the marriage records do exist (1845). I expect that
                this will be difficult since Kepic^ appears to be a fairly common
                name in Snina. If I am unable to establish the direct lines because
                of the gap in the marriage records, I will then try to investigate
                the duplicate records that you indicate are in Satoralyaujhely.

                Thanks again for the tip.

                Carl Kotlarchik

              • sabolj@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                  There ARE four films. I misread the numbers. They are:

                  Marriages--1783-1820 - -1793685 Item 8 ]
                  Marriages 1820-1845 Deaths--1782-1845 Confirmations 1829 Baptisms
                  1844-1870 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793686 ]
                  Baptisms 1871-1875 Deaths 1844-1880 Baptisms 1876-1886 - FHL INTL Film
                  [ 1793886 ]
                  Baptisms 1886-1895 Deaths 1881-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793887 Items
                  1-3 ]

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Yes, I'm sorry, I did know that there were four films. But as you
                    see in your list below, the marriage records are only listed for the
                    years of 1783 till 1845. So there appears to be a gap in the
                    records after 1845.

                  • sabolj@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Yes. That is the gap I mentioned.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                        Thank you for the information and Michael Sura did contact me. Is he
                        someone you have used to do research? I ask because several people
                        did contact me offering to do the search at Satoraljaujhely.

                        > the Hungarian archives in Satoralyaujhely. <<<
                        >
                        > Mick Sura sometimes travels to Satoraljaujhely to do research at the
                        > archive.

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                          >>> Thank you for the information and Michael Sura did contact me. Is
                          he someone you have used to do research? I ask because several people
                          did contact me offering to do the search at Satoraljaujhely. <<<

                          Yes, Mick has researched the Dubravka GC records at Satoraljaujhely
                          for me. This was necessary because there is a 20-year gap in the
                          Slovak-archived GC records filmed by LDS.

                          Mick is not only professional but also fairly local, living in Kosice
                          and fluent in English.

                          However, since "time is money", I would recommend that readers FIRST
                          do as much research as possible themselves and then ask the pros
                          to "fill in the blanks". Nothing comes for free -- it's either your
                          TIME or your MONEY.
                        • Linda Hartlaub
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                            I have used Michael. Without a doubt he is legitimate and his prices are fair. Do not hesitate to ask him to help you. He was able to find information on my grandfather's family (which was no easy task) and find direct cousins from my grandmother's family. He will no disappoint you.
                            Linda

                          • Kristine
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                              I'm glad you all brought up Michael and that he is legit because I got an
                              email from him too offering to help me....I was leary about it but I'm glad
                              to hear he is helpful and legitimate. I think I will take him up on his
                              offer sometime soon. Thanks.

                              On 2/4/06, Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

                              > I have used Michael. Without a doubt he is legitimate and his prices are
                              > fair. Do not hesitate to ask him to help you. He was able to find
                              > information on my grandfather's family (which was no easy task) and find
                              > direct cousins from my grandmother's family. He will no disappoint you.
                              > Linda

                            • EDWARD LYCKA
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Michael Sura just did some research for me on my maternal grandmother. I had very little info to work with and it turns out that some nicknames evolved into surnames and it was quite a confusing search. He did a great job sorting all the information out. He sends a written report with notes, not just a pedigree view. I was very pleased with the research Michael did for me and he is very reasonably priced.
                                Regards,
                                Ed

                                Kristine <Moms2Angels@...> wrote:
                                I'm glad you all brought up Michael and that he is legit because I got an
                                email from him too offering to help me....I was leary about it but I'm glad
                                to hear he is helpful and legitimate. I think I will take him up on his
                                offer sometime soon. Thanks.

                                On 2/4/06, Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

                                > I have used Michael. Without a doubt he is legitimate and his prices are
                                > fair. Do not hesitate to ask him to help you. He was able to find
                                > information on my grandfather's family (which was no easy task) and find
                                > direct cousins from my grandmother's family. He will no disappoint you.
                                > Linda

                                Slovak republic Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  Here is what may be a partial list of the Szninna (Snina) records
                                  available at the Satoraljaujhely archives. There may be other Snina
                                  records there also.

                                  Krsteni (baptisms) -- 1821, 1830-32, 1836-60

                                  Sobaseni (marriages) -- 1821, 1822-27, 1830-32, 1836-60

                                  Zomreli (deaths) -- 1821, 1830-32, 1836-60

                                  Thank you for the information and Michael Sura did contact me. Is he
                                  someone you have used to do research? I ask because several people
                                  did contact me offering to do the search at Satoraljaujhely.

                                  > the Hungarian archives in Satoralyaujhely. <<<
                                  >
                                  > Mick Sura sometimes travels to Satoraljaujhely to do research at the
                                  > archive.

                                  To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                  http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Larry Buback
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 10, 2006
                                    Does anyone have Michael Sura's email address. I have some geneology work I need done in Eastern Slovakia.

                                    EDWARD LYCKA <lycka-go8@...> wrote: Michael Sura just did some research for me on my maternal grandmother. I had very little info to work with and it turns out that some nicknames evolved into surnames and it was quite a confusing search. He did a great job sorting all the information out. He sends a written report with notes, not just a pedigree view. I was very pleased with the research Michael did for me and he is very reasonably priced.
                                    Regards,
                                    Ed

                                    Kristine <Moms2Angels@...> wrote:
                                    I'm glad you all brought up Michael and that he is legit because I got an
                                    email from him too offering to help me....I was leary about it but I'm glad
                                    to hear he is helpful and legitimate. I think I will take him up on his
                                    offer sometime soon. Thanks.

                                    On 2/4/06, Linda Hartlaub <ljhartlaub@...> wrote:

                                    > I have used Michael. Without a doubt he is legitimate and his prices are
                                    > fair. Do not hesitate to ask him to help you. He was able to find
                                    > information on my grandfather's family (which was no easy task) and find
                                    > direct cousins from my grandmother's family. He will no disappoint you.
                                    > Linda

                                    Larry Buback
                                    lbuback@...

                                  • Mr EDWARD LYCKA