Trip to Aloshalas Slovakia

  • Jerry & Liz Dente
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Of course after caring researching and gathering my info for our trip to
      Slovakia, I got my names confused: It's our KURIPLACH (not SUREK) family
      that is from Aloshalas. (Thanks for all the helpful tips on traveling there,
      we should have about 8 days and were wondering about trying to do Poland and
      Slovakia in that amount of time).

      1899 Ellis Island manifest for the ship Trave sailing from Bremen Germany,
      arriving in New York on May 25, 1899, shows YANOS KURIPLACH, described as
      Male; Age 38; Married; White; Laborer; Unable to read or write;
      Nationality: Hungarian; From: A. Ribniczl, in the province of Hungary and
      the country of Hungary. His religion was Greek Catholic and his mother
      tongue was Ruthenian. He stated he had been in America before from 1880(?)
      to 1890(?) in Audenreid, PA, then returned to Europe and was returning in
      1899 also going to Aurenried, PA.

      1880 Census - can't find Janos Kuriplach

      1900 Census - can't find Janos Kuriplach

      1907 Ellis Island manifest for the ship Slavonia sailing from Bremen
      Germany, arriving in New York on December 9, 1907 shows JANOS KURIPLACH,
      Male, Age 47, Married, Farm Laborer, Nationality Hungarian; Race: Slovak;
      Last residence: Aloshalas, Hungary; Name of nearest relative in country he
      left: His wife: Janasig Kuriplack; Final destination: His brother-in-law
      Janos Podolack in Audenreid, PA. He was 5'4" tall, had a dark complection,
      brown hair and brown eyes. His place of birth was Alsohalas, Hungary.

      Traveling with him was: Anna KURIPLACH, Female, Age 16, Single,
      Nationality: Hungarian; Race Slovak; Last residence: Aloshalas, Hungary;
      Name of nearest relative in country she left: Her mother: Janasig Kuriplach;
      Final destination; Her uncle Janos Podolack in Audenreid, PA. She was 4'11"
      tall, had a dark complection, brown hair and brown eyes. Her place of birth
      was Alsohalas, Hungary.

      After the 1907 arrival, I lose track of Janos

      In November 1909 an application was filed in Schuykill County Courthouse for
      a marriage license for Leo Surek, born in Poland in May 1879, living in
      Audenreid (no occupation listed) and Annie "Podala", born Austria in 1889,
      living in Audenreid, working as a servant, (her father, John Podala, giving
      consent).

      Perhaps Anne's father wasn't available and her uncle gave consent. She also
      seems to have lied about her age saying she was 20, not 18). They never
      returned to file the license.

      Leon and Anna were married in St. Kunegunda's Roman Catholic Church. (Even
      though there were Orthodox and Greek Orthodox churches in the area) on
      November 23, 1909. Records state marriage of Surek, Leo son of John and
      Agnes ____ from Bicz, Galicia and Anna Kuryplach, daughter of John Kuryplach
      and Anna Siwak from Galicia. Witnesses: Joseph Batoz and Anna Zela

      My husband's mother remembers her mother Anna Kuriplach Surek as being
      "Russian" and "Orthodox". Although now I think that was "Ruthania or Russ"
      and Greek Orthodox.

      Liz, Jerry, Pumpkin, Angel, Frank, Tank, Willie, Breezy, Brutus, Flora Dora
      and Ritter Dente
      and our beloved Sweet Pea and her prince Roscoe,
      Austin, Rusty, Mozart and Tini at the Bridge.
      Brookfort Dachshund Rescue Resort in New Jersey
      Dachshund Rescue of North America

      ...You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend. I loved you well,
      and was loved. Deep love endures to the end and far past the end. If this
      is my end, I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours. (Jeffers)

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        >>> Kuriplach that is from Aloshalas . . . we should have about 8
        days and were wondering about trying to do Poland and Slovakia in that
        amount of time. <<<

        What is the QUESTION??? Is eight days enough?

        Nizna Rybnica consists of a row of houses along two sides of a 2 km
        road that dead ends. That should take about 5 minutes, unless you have
        some kind of a PLAN, what are you going to DO?

        Your prospective cousins live in Michalovce.
        Agáta Kuriplachtová, Hollého, Michalovce
        Ján Kuriplach, Moldavská, Michalovce
        Michal Kuriplach, S'vermova, Michalovce

        I would suggest Hotel Jalta in Michlovce.
        http://www.jalta.sk/e-index.htm
      • Jerry & Liz Dente
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
          Dear John, Unfortunately, we don't have much of a plan. If someone is
          willing to help me do more research (I would be more than willing to pay a
          fee) to find out more about Janos Kuriplach (and his wife Anna Siwak) and
          Nizna Rybnica I would be very grateful.
          If nothing else, we just hoped to walk the streets and know that we were
          making a connection with the past...

          After that we would make the trip to Poland and visit Lipinki ad Biez
          (SUREK). Rozalin Bielow Woj Tarnosbzeg (REGULA) and Krzatka Woj Tarnosbzeg
          (SUDOL). Stanislaus Regula (born May 5, 1872 son of Anny Regula) married
          Marianna Sudol (born May 5, 1874 daughter of Wojciecha Sudol and ANny
          Serafin) in Krzatka woj Tarnobreg, Majdan, Kolbuszowa 25 November 1896.
          Thanks for the continued help and encouragement from the list...

          Liz and Jerry Dente
          New Jersey

          _____

          >>> Kuriplach that is from Aloshalas . . . we should have about 8
          days and were wondering about trying to do Poland and Slovakia in that
          amount of time. <<<

          What is the QUESTION??? Is eight days enough?

          Nizna Rybnica consists of a row of houses along two sides of a 2 km
          road that dead ends. That should take about 5 minutes, unless you have
          some kind of a PLAN, what are you going to DO?

          Your prospective cousins live in Michalovce.
          Agáta Kuriplachtová, Hollého, Michalovce
          Ján Kuriplach, Moldavská, Michalovce
          Michal Kuriplach, S'vermova, Michalovce

          I would suggest Hotel Jalta in Michlovce.
          http://www.jalta.sk/e-index.htm

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Don Havlicek
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            Unbelievable!
            You're going to Lipinki? I was there in 1995 .. and you're probably my
            cousin!

            My mother's mother came from Pagorzyna, about 4 miles from Lipinki, and
            was baptized in the church at Lipinki. Lovely little church with a
            solid, stone baptismal font in the front of the church.
            I have some records from there ... the LDS filmed part of those records.

            I have transcribed many of those records ...Surek [Szurek] appears on
            many of them.

            My mother's family lived in Amsterdam, NY, where I have 100's of cousins.

            Email me off list and I'll give you some information about that area.

            Don Havlicek
            Edmore, MI

            Jerry & Liz Dente wrote:
            > Dear John, Unfortunately, we don't have much of a plan. If someone is
            > willing to help me do more research (I would be more than willing to pay a
            > fee) to find out more about Janos Kuriplach (and his wife Anna Siwak) and
            > Nizna Rybnica I would be very grateful.
            > If nothing else, we just hoped to walk the streets and know that we were
            > making a connection with the past...
            >
            > After that we would make the trip to Poland and visit Lipinki ad Biez
            > (SUREK). Rozalin Bielow Woj Tarnosbzeg (REGULA) and Krzatka Woj Tarnosbzeg
            > (SUDOL). Stanislaus Regula (born May 5, 1872 son of Anny Regula) married
            > Marianna Sudol (born May 5, 1874 daughter of Wojciecha Sudol and ANny
            > Serafin) in Krzatka woj Tarnobreg, Majdan, Kolbuszowa 25 November 1896.
            > Thanks for the continued help and encouragement from the list...
            >

            > Liz and Jerry Dente
            > New Jersey
            >

            > _____

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
              (and his wife Anna Siwak) and Nizna Rybnica I would be very
              grateful.

              It doesn't sound like you have researched any of the church records.
              They are available to you in NEW Jersey. It will cost you about $5.

              CENTER (FHC)

              LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and
              deaths for Nižná Rybnica, Slovakia, formerly Alsó-Ribnyicza (or
              Alsóhalas), Ung, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Komárovce,
              Slovakia, formerly Szobránc-Komoróc, Ung, Hungary and Sobrance,
              Slovakia, formerly Szobránc, Ung, Hungary.

              Krstení 1821-1848 Zomrelí 1820-1848 Sobášení 1823-1849 Krstení 1849-
              1852 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 5-6 ]

              Krstení 1853-1890 Zomrelí 1848-1890 Sobášení 1850-1890 Krstení 1891-
              1910 Zomrelí 1891-1909 Sobášení 1891-1909 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792926
              Items 1-2 ]

              Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
              to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
              film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
              research.

              TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
              translations.

              LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
              See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
              details.

              >>> If nothing else, we just hoped to walk the streets and know that
              we were making a connection with the past... <<<

              In Nizna Rybica, there is ONE street and it is about ONE mile long.
              If you have gone that far and are into wine, there are wineries that
              could be visited at Tibava and Orechova. Michalovce is worth a day,
              unless you tie in with the cousins that you have found there and
              have reason to extend your stay. The hotel I suggested is on the
              main walking mall and that walk is good for about an hour. On a fine
              afternoon, a beer in the outdoor patio of the hotel is enjoyable.

              Best to get crackin' on those church records. AFTER that, you might
              want to get Mick Sura to make some phone calls to Michalovce on your
              behalf. No need to pay Mick to do what you can do perfectly well by
              yourself.