Re: [S-R] Visit to Poland and Slovakia

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30 1:05 AM
      Hello

      I'm an American living in Hungary right now, working
      on my graduate studies. I checked out the locations
      of the cities in Poland and Slovakia, and they are
      indeed off the beaten track, and I agree with your
      acquaintance that a guide would make your trip easier.

      Depending on the dates of your trip, I may be able to
      act as that guide. I do speak Slovak and Hungarian
      fluently, and I spent several months in Eastern
      Slovakia on a genealogy project 5 years ago, so know
      that region well. I am less familiar with Poland, but
      the language is similar to Slovak, and I'd have bad
      German to fall back on. The only downside is, I don't
      have a car.

      This would be a nice side-trip for me, so if you're at
      all interested, contact me at jevenham@.... I
      could even help with some archive lookups, if you plan
      to do so.

      Good Luck,

      John Venham

      --- Jerry & Liz Dente <brookft@...> wrote:

      > Hi - I don't post much but I do read every email and
      > have learned so much.
      > We had planned a trip to Slovakia (family name
      > SUREK) and Poland (family
      > names REGULA, SUDOL and KURIPLACH) two years ago and
      > had to cancel at the
      > last minute. Now trying again to go this spring.
      > The village in Slovakia
      > was Alsohalas (now Niza Rybinka) outside of
      > Sobrance. Is there any easy way
      > to get there? We are thinking of splitting the trip
      > to Poland and Slovakia
      > because getting from the Tarnobrez (Galacia) to
      > Sobrance in one trip seems
      > difficult. An acquaintance who is from Poland and
      > travels back frequently
      > is very worried about our attempting to travel by
      > ourselves without speaking
      > the language. She is suggesting we hire someone to
      > meet us at an airport
      > and drive us around while we are there. Any ideas
      > or suggestions would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Liz, Jerry, Pumpkin, Angel, Frank, Tank, Willie,
      > Breezy, Brutus, Flora Dora
      > and Ritter Dente
      > and our beloved Sweet Pea and her prince Roscoe,
      > Austin, Rusty, Mozart and Tini at the Bridge.
      > Brookfort Dachshund Rescue Resort in New Jersey
      > Dachshund Rescue of North America
      >
      > ...You were never masters, but friends. I was your
      > friend. I loved you well,
      > and was loved. Deep love endures to the end and far
      > past the end. If this
      > is my end, I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am
      > still yours. (Jeffers)

      > removed]

      "The Journey is the Reward"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30 4:51 PM
        Dear Jerry and Liz,
        If you monitor our website you know that I have made four trips to Eastern Slovakia since 2000.
        Nizna Rybnica is within 15km of Zaluzice where my cousin was the RC priest. He is now the Dekan of the RC Cathedral in Trebisov, which is not that far away.
        You asked if your could visit Poland and Slovakia in one trip. You didn't mention how long you were going to be there. A one week trip may be hard to do given the travel days would take up at least three days. In two weeks you would have enough time to enjoy both countries.
        Since Tarnobrez is within Galacia it is relatively close to Slovakia. Getting there may be require some planning. Crakow is the largest city within old Galacia. Warsaw is closer than Prague. Once you have located where Tarnobrez is on a modern map it will be easier to determine where to fly into. There are so many small airlines in Europe now you should be able to fly somewhere relatively close. A good travel agent should be able to help you.
        I agree with John Venham that a translator would make things far easier.
        Renting a car is not that difficult. What is difficult is renting in one country and going to or dropping it off in another. I have found the local rental agencies are far cheaper than the large corporate ones. As an example, it might be cheaper to rent in Crakow and do you business in Poland. Then take the train to Kosice, Slovakia and rent a car there. Since Kosice airport is the only one in Eastern Slovakia you can fly out of to Vienna or Prague for connecting flights out of Europe or another airport out. I always had to do Kosice, Vienna or Prague, Frankfurt and home.
        If you would like to discuss your trip in more detail and can be contacted at mgmojher@...
        Michael Mojher

[...]

        Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree