Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: BIOLEK

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Frank, I disagree with just one part where you state:
      "> Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      > part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
      > Austrian Empire."

      It should end ".. and earlier part of the Hungarian Kingdom." Slovakia
      was never directly under Austria, but under Austria as a part of Hungary
      under Austria.

      Presented as a discussion and not an argument. Regards -

      Ron
      Depending as to where I am, I can claim to be SLovak, Rusyn, Upper
      Hungarian, or Austro-Hungarian. That last one I tried on a Tyrolean and
      she looked at me and asked "how". When I explained the family came from
      Slovakia she told me that "Austria should give Vienna to the easterners,
      take South Tyrol back from the Italians, and then Austria will be
      whole!"