Re: [S-R] The Elderly

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2006
      Look at the 1869 Hungarian census info: Many households had "elderly"
      family members living with their children -- usually a son & his
      family, in some cases two sons, their wives and the grandchildren --
      in most cases the widowed mothers. In some cases, though, widowers
      lived with son/sons & his/their family/families. (In some households
      in Saris megye there were "elderly" family members, born in the 1780s-
      1800, living with their children & the children's families.) In most
      of those households, however, the families were farmers and lived off
      their little parcel of land.

      Look at what some of us are doing here in the U.S. today: Adult
      children moving "home" to take care of aging parents whose Social
      Security money doesn't stretch far enough to keep them "secure" in
      their homes. The price of "Senior Housing" is outrageous & unless the
      Sr. Citizen has a pension or some other income other than Social
      Security, many if not most of them are unable to find "affordable
      housing". Nursing homes are not always suitable or financially
      practical.

      I went through this with my own mother after her retirement (and
      until her recent passing). In the early 1950s, my maternal
      grandfather lived with us until the time of his passing -- same
      reason: his Social Security income could not cover his housing, let
      alone utilities & and food.

      It wasn't uncommon then -- and it isn't now -- for 3 generations to
      live in one household.

      MARIANNE

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of Becki Blair
      > Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:09 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] The Elderly
      >
      > I'm curious. If you were a peasant in Hungary or Czechoslovakia in
      the
      > latter 1800's and early 1900's and had no sons (or they immigrated)
      and you