Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Villages: Vysny Slavkov, Danisovce, Torysky, Spisska Nova Vess

Expand Messages
  • fc_popovich
    It took about three years for me to discover the family of my birth father here in the U.S. and now I am ready to trace their roots and mine to Slovakia. The
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
      It took about three years for me to discover the family of my birth father here in the U.S. and now I am ready to trace their roots and mine to Slovakia. The only thing I knew growing up is that my father was Czechoslovakian. As it turns out his mother was born in Spisska Nova Vess. My birth name is POPOVICH. Early in the 1950's the entire family changed it's name to POPE(which hindered my search). The Pope's I located remembered as children in school that the name was POPOVIC with an accent over the "C" and later it was changed to POPOVICH.

      The surnames I am researching include: POPOVIC(S)POPOVICH, FRANKO, GYCOR, THACH. Other names of interest may include Fechova/Fircova (?); Johann Malyoros(?) in Connecticut: Pal Kalsworski(?) in New York. Gustav/Gusti traveled twice to the U.S. and gave some of these names on the manifests. Fechova/Fircova is the possible name of the 3rd husband of Maria (Popovic), Gustav's widow.

      My Grandfather Mihaly Popovic= Michael Popovich was born in Johsnstown PA. June 15, 1902 to Gustav and Mary "POPOWITZ". According to a living son the couple (my GREAT-Grandparents) got home sick and went "back". When Michael was 18 he returned to America. The ship manifest list a passport/Visa number: 475. Issued October 8, 1920; Prag.

      My Question is: Is it possible to order a copy of these foreign issued passports from Prague? I would like to determine his mothers name (Maria _____?) and where he went back to and how long he was gone.

      I have located the LDS film #'s for Vysny Slavkov (minus the accent marks) and that is where I will search for Popovics. I have also written to a living Popovic in that village and hope to learn something from him. Then I will start on the Franko side. To more fully appreciate our roots I had my brother test his DNA with the National Genographic Project. His results are listed at Y-Search.com under the Popovich name.

      I have learned alot by reviewing the messages on this GROUP and affliated web pages. While the POPOVICH names researched earlier by others on this site do not seem to be related perhaps someone else may recognize the above names . Recommendatons for research are appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Fran









      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Bill Tarkulich
      Congrats. You are on the right track. I don t think governments keep copies of passports , They keep the supporting documentation, but a bureaucrat has no
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
        Congrats. You are on the right track.

        I don't think governments keep "copies of passports", They keep the
        supporting documentation, but a bureaucrat has no need to keep copy of an
        individual passport.
        Vital Records post-1895 are kept in the village/town office. You can write
        to the mayor and request the birth information as a transcription. You
        don't need an "official copy". Some people do, for sentimental reasons, but
        it will cost you. Then again if the living individual responds, you're
        golden.

        Regarding identifying your ancestor's parents, I can think of a few sources:

        1. Civil vital records for the GP's birth should be here in the state.
        Mother and father's name of course contained therein.

        2. Immigration records. There will be a file and you can request a copy of
        it. If he was naturalized, a copy of the supporting documents will be
        there. If he was a resident alien in 1940, a very extensive registration
        document, containing parents names and villages.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

        3. Social Security application - parents names and village. If legally
        employed in the USA 1936 or later.

        These sources will also confirm that you are looking in the correct
        village(s).

        Good Luck,

        Bill


        -----Original Message-----
        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of fc_popovich
        Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 8:07 PM
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [S-R] Villages: Vysny Slavkov, Danisovce, Torysky, Spisska Nova
        Vess


        It took about three years for me to discover the family of my birth father
        here in the U.S. and now I am ready to trace their roots and mine to
        Slovakia. The only thing I knew growing up is that my father was
        Czechoslovakian. As it turns out his mother was born in Spisska Nova Vess.
        My birth name is POPOVICH. Early in the 1950's the entire family changed
        it's name to POPE(which hindered my search). The Pope's I located
        remembered as children in school that the name was POPOVIC with an accent
        over the "C" and later it was changed to POPOVICH.

        The surnames I am researching include: POPOVIC(S)POPOVICH, FRANKO, GYCOR,
        THACH. Other names of interest may include Fechova/Fircova (?); Johann
        Malyoros(?) in Connecticut: Pal Kalsworski(?) in New York. Gustav/Gusti
        traveled twice to the U.S. and gave some of these names on the manifests.
        Fechova/Fircova is the possible name of the 3rd husband of Maria (Popovic),
        Gustav's widow.

        My Grandfather Mihaly Popovic= Michael Popovich was born in Johsnstown PA.
        June 15, 1902 to Gustav and Mary "POPOWITZ". According to a living son the
        couple (my GREAT-Grandparents) got home sick and went "back". When Michael
        was 18 he returned to America. The ship manifest list a passport/Visa
        number: 475. Issued October 8, 1920; Prag.

        My Question is: Is it possible to order a copy of these foreign issued
        passports from Prague? I would like to determine his mothers name (Maria
        _____?) and where he went back to and how long he was gone.

        I have located the LDS film #'s for Vysny Slavkov (minus the accent marks)
        and that is where I will search for Popovics. I have also written to a
        living Popovic in that village and hope to learn something from him. Then I
        will start on the Franko side. To more fully appreciate our roots I had my
        brother test his DNA with the National Genographic Project. His results are
        listed at Y-Search.com under the Popovich name.

        I have learned alot by reviewing the messages on this GROUP and affliated
        web pages. While the POPOVICH names researched earlier by others on this
        site do not seem to be related perhaps someone else may recognize the above
        names . Recommendatons for research are appreciated.

        Thank you.

        Fran









        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
        SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • johnqadam
        ... LDS film # s for Vysny Slavkov . . . and that is where I will search
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
          >>> mother was born in Spisska Nova Ves . . . I have located the
          LDS film #'s for Vysny Slavkov . . . and that is where I will
          search <<<

          Excuse me BUT why are you researching Vysny Slavkov for a family born
          in Spisska Nova Ves? Church records are available for Spisska Nova Ves.

          Also see the Delphi site for message #8131.3 where I have justed
          posted about Spisska Nova Ves
          http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages
        • fc_popovich
          ... the ... born ... Ves. ... Vsyny Slavkov is where my Great-Grandfather, on my fathers PATERNAL side, Gustav Popovic (born 1874)was from according to Ellis
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
            wrote:
            >
            > >>> mother was born in Spisska Nova Ves . . . I have located
            the
            > LDS film #'s for Vysny Slavkov . . . and that is where I will
            > search <<<
            >
            > Excuse me BUT why are you researching Vysny Slavkov for a family
            born
            > in Spisska Nova Ves? Church records are available for Spisska Nova
            Ves.
            >
            > Also see the Delphi site for message #8131.3 where I have justed
            > posted about Spisska Nova Ves
            > http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages
            >

            Vsyny Slavkov is where my Great-Grandfather, on my fathers PATERNAL
            side, Gustav Popovic (born 1874)was from according to Ellis Island
            Ship Manifest. I have not yet learned his wife's maiden name or
            village, but her first name was Mary/Maria.


            My Grandmother Katherina Franko (born 1903),on my fathers MATERNAL
            side was born in Spiska Nova Vess. HER father, Michael Franko (born
            1874)in Danisovce, and her mother Anna Gycor(born 1874) in Torysky.

            So I will eventually have to look at ALL the film available for all
            four (4) towns/villages.

            Thank you for helping me to clarify my research position. I look
            forward to reading your message about Spisska Nova Vess.

            Sincerely
            Fran
          • johnqadam
            ... four (4) towns/villages. Yes, you ARE on the right track. Also, don t foregt to look up the 1869 Hungarian Census for each village. It tells you who lived
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
              >> So I will eventually have to look at ALL the film available for all
              four (4) towns/villages.

              Yes, you ARE on the right track. Also, don't foregt to look up the
              1869 Hungarian Census for each village. It tells you who lived in each
              house and their relationships, age and religion. It's the only
              Hungarian census worth looking at.It available at LDS/FHC.

              Any film that proves to be very useful, pay for 3 rentals and make it
              PERMANENT. You will find that you need to keep going back to it.
            • fc_popovich
              ... all ... each ... it ... THANKS- Much Obliged!
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
                wrote:
                >
                > >> So I will eventually have to look at ALL the film available for
                all
                > four (4) towns/villages.
                >
                > Yes, you ARE on the right track. Also, don't foregt to look up the
                > 1869 Hungarian Census for each village. It tells you who lived in
                each
                > house and their relationships, age and religion. It's the only
                > Hungarian census worth looking at.It available at LDS/FHC.
                >
                > Any film that proves to be very useful, pay for 3 rentals and make
                it
                > PERMANENT. You will find that you need to keep going back to it.
                >

                THANKS- Much Obliged!
              • Joan Hendershot
                I have Popovics in my family line. My father s line is Gnaly/Feczko. I have a Maria Popovics 1877, father George, married a Petrus Feczko. Is 1877 too early
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24, 2006
                  I have Popovics in my family line. My father's line is Gnaly/Feczko. I
                  have a Maria Popovics 1877, father George, married a Petrus Feczko. Is 1877
                  too early for you.

                  She was from Olsavica, Spis Co.

                  Joan
                • fc_popovich
                  ... Gnaly/Feczko. I ... Is 1877 ... Hello Joan, No I don t think 1877 is too early. From Ellis Island records Gustav Popovics was born about 1882, only five
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Hendershot" <jhender3@r...>
                    wrote:
                    >
                    > I have Popovics in my family line. My father's line is
                    Gnaly/Feczko. I
                    > have a Maria Popovics 1877, father George, married a Petrus Feczko.
                    Is 1877
                    > too early for you.
                    >
                    > She was from Olsavica, Spis Co.
                    >
                    > Joan
                    >

                    Hello Joan,

                    No I don't think 1877 is too early. From Ellis Island records Gustav
                    Popovics was born about 1882, only five years separates him from your
                    Maria.

                    The name Gustav does not seem to be too prevalent among the Slav names
                    and I wonder if it might translate to George or would George be
                    Gyorgy ?

                    Speaking of Names I have also been wondering about naming patterns I
                    should be aware of for clues. Was there a particular naming custom as
                    you find in other heritages, i.e. patronomics?

                    I will have to do a little map studying to find Olsavica. Would it be
                    the same as OLYSAVICA or OLYSAVKA in Locsei jaras? (This from the 1882
                    gazetteer of Hungary - Swepes County). Current District of Levoca. If
                    so we probably have a connection.

                    Speculating on clues from manifests, census' etc, I think Gustav may
                    have had several brothers: Michal (1873), Pavel, Gyorgy (abt 1884) and
                    perhaps two or more sisters. In 1901 Gustav(Guszti) says he is going
                    to his brother-in-law Pal Kalsworski. Earlier in 1898 he was going to
                    his brother-in-laws Johan Malyoros.

                    Another clue is that in 1920 when my Grandfather Michael Popovics
                    returns to America he gives his address as 224 Broad Street in
                    Johnstown Pa (his birthplace). In the 1920 U.S. Federal census I found
                    the address and the residents are Michael Popovitch, wife Pauline both
                    born in Hungary, lanuage is Slovak. They have children born in Pa.:
                    John, Margaret, Joe, Francis, Mike, Anna. My current quess is that
                    this is his Uncle...who has been in the U.S. since 1887.

                    At the Slovak Pride website I made myself a separate list of all the
                    names originating from Felso Szalok (now Vsyny Slavkov). You have a
                    name listed that might be interesting: GRAJCZAR. In trying to find
                    hints about who Gustav married I went back to his last ship manifest.
                    My grand-dad's birth certificate says his mother was Mary. So.. Gustav
                    arrives in America Dec 6, 1901 and my grand-dad is born 6 months later
                    in Johnstown. The mother had to have been on the ship, unless he is a
                    really good samaritan. Two Maria's sailed on that ship from his home
                    town of Felso Szalok. One was 14 years old: Maria Grancesaj (sp ?) and
                    a Maria Raf(g)an who is 18. What I do know is that this Maria survived
                    three husbands, the first being Gustav Popovics and the last being a
                    Ferchova or Fircova which is also a name listed at Slovak Pride as
                    being from Felso Szalok/Vsyny Slavkov.

                    Okay, so much for speculation, now to order the films and get to
                    work...I was worried about how I would make the connection back from
                    the 1882 to the 1869 census, but since there are only 651 people in
                    the village in 1869 hopefully I can find the likely parents.

                    Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

                    Fran Hendrickson
                  • fc_popovich
                    ... ... Feczko. ... Gustav ... your ... names ... I ... as ... be ... 1882 ... If ... may ... and ... going ... to ... found ... both ... the
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "fc_popovich"
                      <fc.hendrickson@g...> wrote:
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Hendershot"
                      <jhender3@r...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have Popovics in my family line. My father's line is
                      > Gnaly/Feczko. I
                      > > have a Maria Popovics 1877, father George, married a Petrus
                      Feczko.
                      > Is 1877
                      > > too early for you.
                      > >
                      > > She was from Olsavica, Spis Co.
                      > >
                      > > Joan
                      > >
                      >
                      > Hello Joan,
                      >
                      > No I don't think 1877 is too early. From Ellis Island records
                      Gustav
                      > Popovics was born about 1882, only five years separates him from
                      your
                      > Maria.
                      >
                      > The name Gustav does not seem to be too prevalent among the Slav
                      names
                      > and I wonder if it might translate to George or would George be
                      > Gyorgy ?
                      >
                      > Speaking of Names I have also been wondering about naming patterns
                      I
                      > should be aware of for clues. Was there a particular naming custom
                      as
                      > you find in other heritages, i.e. patronomics?
                      >
                      > I will have to do a little map studying to find Olsavica. Would it
                      be
                      > the same as OLYSAVICA or OLYSAVKA in Locsei jaras? (This from the
                      1882
                      > gazetteer of Hungary - Swepes County). Current District of Levoca.
                      If
                      > so we probably have a connection.
                      >
                      > Speculating on clues from manifests, census' etc, I think Gustav
                      may
                      > have had several brothers: Michal (1873), Pavel, Gyorgy (abt 1884)
                      and
                      > perhaps two or more sisters. In 1901 Gustav(Guszti) says he is
                      going
                      > to his brother-in-law Pal Kalsworski. Earlier in 1898 he was going
                      to
                      > his brother-in-laws Johan Malyoros.
                      >
                      > Another clue is that in 1920 when my Grandfather Michael Popovics
                      > returns to America he gives his address as 224 Broad Street in
                      > Johnstown Pa (his birthplace). In the 1920 U.S. Federal census I
                      found
                      > the address and the residents are Michael Popovitch, wife Pauline
                      both
                      > born in Hungary, lanuage is Slovak. They have children born in
                      Pa.:
                      > John, Margaret, Joe, Francis, Mike, Anna. My current quess is that
                      > this is his Uncle...who has been in the U.S. since 1887.
                      >
                      > At the Slovak Pride website I made myself a separate list of all
                      the
                      > names originating from Felso Szalok (now Vsyny Slavkov). You have
                      a
                      > name listed that might be interesting: GRAJCZAR. In trying to find
                      > hints about who Gustav married I went back to his last ship
                      manifest.
                      > My grand-dad's birth certificate says his mother was Mary. So..
                      Gustav
                      > arrives in America Dec 6, 1901 and my grand-dad is born 6 months
                      later
                      > in Johnstown. The mother had to have been on the ship, unless he
                      is a
                      > really good samaritan. Two Maria's sailed on that ship from his
                      home
                      > town of Felso Szalok. One was 14 years old: Maria Grancesaj (sp ?)
                      and
                      > a Maria Raf(g)an who is 18. What I do know is that this Maria
                      survived
                      > three husbands, the first being Gustav Popovics and the last being
                      a
                      > Ferchova or Fircova which is also a name listed at Slovak Pride as
                      > being from Felso Szalok/Vsyny Slavkov.
                      >
                      > Okay, so much for speculation, now to order the films and get to
                      > work...I was worried about how I would make the connection back
                      from
                      > the 1882 to the 1869 census, but since there are only 651 people
                      in
                      > the village in 1869 hopefully I can find the likely parents.
                      >
                      > Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.
                      >
                      > Fran Hendrickson

                      P.S.
                      >

                      Vysny Slavkov is 49 hrs 04 min 00N - 20 hrs - 52 min - 00E
                      Olsavica is 49 hrs 05 min 00N - 20 hrs - 45 min - 00E

                      Both in the Area NM-3408 map at www.iarelative.com/nm3408.htm

                      Neighbors for sure!
                    • Nick Holcz
                      ... When I was a little boy and didn t want to eat my food my mother used to fill up a spoon and tell me one for popovich I often wonder who she was
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006
                        At 08:21 AM 26/01/2006, you wrote:
                        >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "fc_popovich"
                        >

                        When I was a little boy and didn't want to eat my food my mother used
                        to fill up a spoon and tell me "one for popovich " I often wonder who
                        she was invoking in order to persuade me to eat.

                        Nick
                      • fc_popovich
                        ... used ... who ... Now that is REALLY interesting to me. I ve e-mailed my (found) Uncle who grew up as a Popovic/Popovich and asked him if he ever heard that
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27, 2006
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                          >
                          > At 08:21 AM 26/01/2006, you wrote:
                          > >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "fc_popovich"
                          > >
                          >
                          > When I was a little boy and didn't want to eat my food my mother
                          used
                          > to fill up a spoon and tell me "one for popovich " I often wonder
                          who
                          > she was invoking in order to persuade me to eat.
                          >
                          > Nick
                          >


                          Now that is REALLY interesting to me. I've e-mailed my (found) Uncle
                          who grew up as a Popovic/Popovich and asked him if he ever heard that
                          expression.
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.