handwriting on a naturalization record

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2006
      >>> the town Frecorje, Slovakia on ShtetlSeeker and it cross
      referenced the modern town of Prikra, Slovakia, which is near Kosice
      and Presov in the Carpathian mountains. This is the area of
      Slovakia where other members of my family are known to have come
      from. This is a great breakthrough for me!<<<

      Are you SURE? I couldn't get ShtetlSeeker to make that combination --
      except as Soundex -- along with about a hundred others.

      On the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg I
      see Prikra mapped as Meredely.

      In terms of genealogy, the far distant horizon was about TWO
      villages away. To suggest that Prikra is NEAR Kosice and Presov is a
      major mis-statement. Think in terms of WALKING and you would have a
      very long trek through the mountains.

      If correct or you want to look more closely, GC church records are
      available for Prikra at LDS. The 1869 Hungarian Census is also
      available.

      Exactly what other village names appear in your research? Look TWO
      villages distance to see what you can find.

      In my opinion, the question is still open.