List update

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
      We now have 96 listmembers. Traffic is slow, but I hope you will all
      continue to post your names and areas you are researching, especially
      those who have just joined us recently.

      Remember that with onelist, to unsubscribe you must go to their website
      and log in, then just click on unsubscribe. Sending an unsub message to
      the list, or to me privately, only prolongs the process, as it must wait
      til I see get it, and then I have to go in and do what you can easily do
      yourself. On onelist there is a digest mode, and also a "no mail" mode
      (unlike Rootsweb lists) so if you're going away on vacation, you can
      just not get mail, but still remain on the list.

      Thanks for your cooperation.....

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Jgally
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
        Searching the following name: GALIJ, GALLICK, GALIK, GALLY, Look Familiar
        to anyone?
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
          At 05:49 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >From: "Jgally" <jgsg@...>
          >
          >Searching the following name: GALIJ, GALLICK, GALIK, GALLY, Look Familiar
          >to anyone?

          Yeah--I kept seeing Galik occasionally in the parish records for Makov,
          Slovakia. LDS microfilm numbers for Makov are 2003291 (first item on this
          roll is from another town, then it picks up Makov) and 2003292 (entire
          roll). Also, my grandmother had a godparent whose last name was Gali; I
          wonder if that's another variation. (As far as I can tell, that was in
          Cadca.)

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Mccartcomm@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 1999
            I'm researching my family roots,in preparation for a trip to Budapest and
            Slovakia.

            My grandparents Jossef and Elizabeth Kurta Dudash, were born in Nadasd,
            Koschita, Hungary and my grandfather was in the personal guard of Franz
            Joseph's son Rudolph until Grandpa arrived in the U.S. in 1985. They settled
            in Arnold City Pennsylvania, where grandpa worked in the coal mines.

            My grandparents Andrew and Mary Gesloski Benjock came from Odorin, Slovakia
            to Cleveland, and settled in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania.

            These are phonetic spellings--can't find the cities on the map!

            I'm lost as to how to find relatives in the old country prior to our visit
            next spring. Any suggestions? I've gotton books from the library on where
            to write to check baptisms, etc., but is it as easy as looking up family
            names in a phone book in Budapest?

            Pleae help!
          • James A Honeychuck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 1999
              Mccartcomm@... wrote:

              > From: Mccartcomm@...
              >
              > I'm researching my family roots,in preparation for a trip to Budapest and
              > Slovakia.
              >
              > My grandparents Jossef and Elizabeth Kurta Dudash, were born in Nadasd,
              > Koschita, Hungary and my grandfather was in the personal guard of Franz
              > Joseph's son Rudolph until Grandpa arrived in the U.S. in 1985. They settled
              > in Arnold City Pennsylvania, where grandpa worked in the coal mines.
              >
              > My grandparents Andrew and Mary Gesloski Benjock came from Odorin, Slovakia
              > to Cleveland, and settled in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
              >
              > These are phonetic spellings--can't find the cities on the map!
              >
              > I'm lost as to how to find relatives in the old country prior to our visit
              > next spring. Any suggestions? I've gotton books from the library on where
              > to write to check baptisms, etc., but is it as easy as looking up family
              > names in a phone book in Budapest?
              >
              > Pleae help!

              > Campaign 2000 is here!
              > http://www.onelist.com
              > Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

              ODORIN 4856N 2038E Slovakia 169.6 miles ENE of Bratislava

              You can see it on a map via
              http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm

              Jim Honeychuck
              Researching Hanicak, Urban, and Puhalla, Mt. Pleasant PA