Renaming villages in Slovakia

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
      "Another very trying phase of the Magyarizing process is the renaming of
      places. A Slovak village, for instance, will be given a new Magyar name, a
      forced translation or a would-be Magyarized form of the immemorial word, and
      this is felt not unnaturally as a great grievance. When I have asked
      Slovaks in America what place they came from, they have said to me,
      plaintively, "I don't know what its name is now; it used to be so-and-so,
      but they have changed it." How is a Slovak who does not know Magyar to
      guess, for instance, that Aranypataka means his old home Zlato?"

      "Our Slavic Fellow Citizens"

      Emily Green Balch, Associate Professor of Economics, Wellesley College

      Published 1910, Charities Publication Committee, Press of Wm F. Fell Co.,
      Philadelphia

      Bill

    • S. R.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
        I found at my library in Arlington Heights, IL the $130 book. Bill & Janet
        recommend Mr. Majtan for names. My 4 villages each had at least 5 different
        names from 1773 to 1997. Check it out at your or a lending library.
        Thank you Bill & Janet
        Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky by Milan Majtan
        Simon R. "Sam" Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
          I have the book. For those who haven't the ability to find the book, I'm
          happy to do limited lookups for you.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
            Actually nobody should be paying #130 for that book. It can be had a
            various places in the states for less than $25.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
              You can get the book right now for much less at:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/nazvyobci.htm
              Many other books at:
              http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/Books_home.htm

              Vladi

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
                FYI, although the book is now out of print, it is available from various
                sources. The prices vary widely but the book is the same (paperback.)

                "Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republicky, Vyvin v rokoch 1773-1997"

                US$89 http://www.slovakheritage.org
                US$62 http://www.abebooks.com/
                $22 http://www.slovakic.com
                Euro 6,5 (about US$8.50) http://slovakia.eunet.sk/

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
                  Library book are free. Can't beat the price I paid. Simon

                  At 09:38 AM 1/21/2006, you wrote:
                  >I found at my library in Arlington Heights, IL the $130 book. Bill &
                  Janet
                  >recommend Mr. Majtan for names. My 4 villages each had at least 5
                  different
                  >names from 1773 to 1997. Check it out at your or a lending library.
                  >Thank you Bill & Janet
                  >Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky by Milan Majtan
                  >Simon R. "Sam" Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

                • Frank R. Plichta
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
                    Maybe I shouldn't mention this but I found my new copy of the book on Ebay
                    for $30. You never know what someone might sell at a decent price. I also
                    have two sets of the three volumes of Vlastivedny' Slovni'k obci' na
                    Slovensku that Vladi is selling for $425.

                    Since I am going to Slovakia in March 2006, if someone wants a copy of
                    either of these books I would be pleased to look for them for you. I don't
                    know what the price might be but I'm willing to look.

                    Frank

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
                      Ba-da-bing! Good call. For many of us though, this book isn't local to
                      us. While I live in Metro Boston where there over a dozen copies, there are
                      all located in university collections which require university affiliation
                      in order to use. You're the lucky one, Simon!

                      Bill

                      At 09:38 AM 1/21/2006, you wrote:
                      >I found at my library in Arlington Heights, IL the $130 book. Bill &
                      Janet
                      >recommend Mr. Majtan for names. My 4 villages each had at least 5
                      different
                      >names from 1773 to 1997. Check it out at your or a lending library.
                      >Thank you Bill & Janet
                      >Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky by Milan Majtan
                      >Simon R. "Sam" Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 21, 2006
                        Dear Bill,
                        The last time I bought this book here it was about $20. However, finding and fetching it in a special shop ans sending it to US can be quite an endeavor. Therefore higher prices.If someone has them on stock and has the distribution organized, it is of course cheaper.( but not cheaper than $20:-)
                        This book is a must for a researcher with wide ranging cases.
                        Best,
                        Vladimir

[...]

                        http://www.eset.sk

                      • Jennifer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                          Hi Bill,

                          I was wondering if you could tell me what the city/town of Slenzko,
                          Mihalin, and Humaneho would have been named previously. I can't find
                          information on any of them accept that the Slenzko (morafko)could be
                          Moravia, and Humaneho could be Humenne.

                          <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

                          > I have the book. For those who haven't the ability to find the
                          book, I'm
                          > happy to do limited lookups for you.
                          >

                          > Bill

                        • johnqadam
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                            >>> tell me what the city/town of Slenzko, Mihalin, and Humaneho would
                            have been named previously. I can't find information on any of them
                            accept that the Slenzko (morafko)could be Moravia, and Humaneho could
                            be Humenne.<<<

                            Whoa!

                            Before you can find and earlier NAME, you have to have a NAME and not
                            alphabet soup.

                            Moravia and Humenne are planets apart. Are these places supposed to be
                            in the general area of Markusovce? Did these people live close to each
                            other?

                            Go to http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ and do a word search on the
                            1828 Hungarian Census list of village names. For example, there is no
                            instance of "nzko" but several "zko" to choose from.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                              Jennifer,
                              John is correct. We need to establish some context. The book only contains
                              names for Slovakia.

                              I don't want to go on a wild goose chase for names in another country.
                              Tell me more about the people associated with these villages - language
                              spoken, country, nation, etc.

                              <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

                              > I have the book. For those who haven't the ability to find the
                              book, I'm
                              > happy to do limited lookups for you.
                              >

                              > Bill

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • georgia
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                Hi Bill,
                                robinhd@...
                                Hello Bill,
                                I am looking for the Slovak villages of: Star Strastek and Macejovac.
                                Thank you. georgia Draves

                                > I was wondering if you could tell me what the city/town of Slenzko,
                                > Mihalin, and Humaneho would have been named previously. I can't find
                                > information on any of them accept that the Slenzko (morafko)could be
                                > Moravia, and Humaneho could be Humenne.

                                > <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> I have the book. For those who haven't the ability to find the
                                > book, I'm
                                >> happy to do limited lookups for you.
                                >>

                                >> Bill

                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                  >>> I am looking for the Slovak villages of: Star Strastek and
                                  Macejovac.<<<

                                  CURRENT MAP

                                  ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

                                  Not found in Slovakia.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                    I suspect you are looking for either:

                                    Staré Strašnice, Strasnice, Alt-Straschnitz 50°05' 14°30' E M U Czech
                                    Republic 1.5 miles E of Praha
                                    Or
                                    Stare Strącze 51°51' 16°09' E M U Poland 207.7 miles W of Warszawa

                                    Are these two villages known to be near each other? What time period are
                                    the names from?

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                      Bill
                                      I would like to take you up on your gracious offer. Could you look up the town of Gbely. It is about 40 miles due north of Bratislava.
                                      Thank you .
                                      Larry kocik[Kocich]
                                      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 22, 2006
                                        1773 Egbell, Gbelly, 1786 Egbell, Gbellani, 1808 Egbell, Gbely, 1863-1913
                                        Egbell, 1920- Gbely

                                        From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>