Re: [S-R] Illiteracy

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2006
      Regarding the previously cited illiteracy statistics, I would like to see
      the source of these statistics and the data profile. I suspect that these
      are aggregated numbers.

      Of course, the highest literacy will be in the towns and cities, which
      indeed have large populations. City folk were in the minority of
      immigrants - jobs and resources were more available and people had lesss
      reason to leave. As such, an aggregation, where one averages city
      statistics with country statistics provides broad-sweeping numbers which
      cannot be used to characterized the immigrant population.

      Consider the rural educational system of the late 1800s, early 1900s. Run
      by the church, education usually ran until about 4th grade. The parents
      were free to extract the children when they were needed for labor, which
      they often did.

      I have looked at thousands of immigrant records and the majority of them
      were illiterate, probably in the range of 70 to 80 percent. I have seen
      hundreds of documents signed by immigrants in their early years and a
      great number of them signed their names with an "X".

      Even comparing statistics within one county, such as Zemplin is deceiving,
      when one finds the majority of Ruthene immigrants came from the
      impovershed northern section of the Carpathian Mts. Note that the large
      cities of Kosice and Satul. were in the central-south sector.
      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g098.shtml

      Male population illiteracy, 1900: http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g099.shtml

      Average Increas of Population 1869-1900 http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g081.shtml

      Emigration from Hungary to the USA 1899-1913. Emigrants / 10,000
      inhabitants http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g037.htm

      Source: A magyar szent korona országainak kivándorlása és
      visszavándorlása 1899-1913. - Budapest : Magyar Királyi Központi
      Statisztikai Hivatal, 1918. (Magyar statisztikai közlemények ; 67.) p. 53.
      [Emigration and remigration from the countries of the Holy Hungarian Crown
      1899-1913. - Budapest : Hungarian Royal Central Statistical Office, 1918.
      - (Hungarian statistical publications ; vol. 67) p. 53.]

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com