Slovak Name Confusion

  • jpmalina
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2006
      Can someone help me sort out these names. I am getting conflicting information regarding my grandparents. the conflict comes from two sources; the church record of their marriage and their death certificates.
      Grandmother - Amalia Apolini
      Marriage Cert - parents names are Pavla & Tuzannyu Velic
      Death Cert - parents names are Paul Apolini & Suzie Cepcuny
      Pavla = Paul?
      Tuzannyu = Suzie?
      What about Velic & Cepcuny?

      Grandfather - Jan Malina
      Marriage Cert - parents names are Jana & Tuzannyu Brocko.
      Death Cert - no information.
      What does Jana translate to?
      Is Brocko my great-grandmother's maiden name?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      John