Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovak Pride Database

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2000
      In a message dated 4/28/0 2:17:05 AM, dreamspinner3@... writes:

      << What is this? How can one access it? >>

      Hi Kim,

      I will be away for a week - otherwise I would do a quick check on your
      names - a part of the Slovak Pride data base is on Iarelative. Get back to
      me around May 10th It's a listing of some 15,000 surnames with the village
      that the family came from and the county too. The book Slovak Pride was
      published by the Slovak Heritage and Folklore Society International, and two
      updates, also the publisher of the colorful Slovakia magazine. Have been
      gathering surnames for over 10 years.

      helene
      helenezx@...
    • Rosamken@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        In a message dated 04/28/2000 5:06:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        greg@... writes:

        << http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/

        Hi Greg:

        Is this listing for the general location of the surname, or is it for
        specific family lines...

        On the surname of my grannie...it listed Cerny (which is the surname I am
        looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. Would you be so kind and
        explain, if possible what I am reading.

        I was told that my grannie came from Czechoslovakia, and a first cousin now
        adds Bohemia. Still a mystery.

        God Bless
        Rosemary - Las Vegas
        Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, CIANCI,
        GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY
      • Gregory J. Kopchak
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2000
          I would ask Helene exactly what the abbreviation means. She would know best.

          It was a kind of fuzzy border between Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, and
          Slovakia over the years and at times they were one country. If your
          grandmother was from western Slovakia, she was very close to the borders
          mentioned.

          Greg Kopchak

          greg@... writes:

          << http://www.iarelative.com/slovakpride/

          Hi Greg:

          Is this listing for the general location of the surname, or is it for
          specific family lines...

          On the surname of my grannie...it listed Cerny (which is the surname I am
          looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. Would you be so kind and
          explain, if possible what I am reading.

          I was told that my grannie came from Czechoslovakia, and a first cousin now
          adds Bohemia. Still a mystery.

          God Bless
          Rosemary - Las Vegas
          Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, CIANCI,
          GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY

          Get paid for the stuff you know!
          Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/0/_/545880/_/957233791/
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:

            > On the surname of my grannie...it listed Cerny (which is the
            surname
            I am
            > looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. Would you be so
            kind
            and
            > explain, if possible what I am reading.
            >
            > I was told that my grannie came from Czechoslovakia, and a first
            cousin now
            > adds Bohemia. Still a mystery.

            Expect Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. = Borsky' Mikulás^ , which is
            located near S^as^tín and 35 miles NE of Bratislava. This is
            about 15 miles from the current Czech Republic border.

            Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
            part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier as
            a part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

            Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Crownland and also part of the
            Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and from earlier (10th c)
            a kingdom.

            After peace treaty (1920), a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia
            was created from Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and
            Austrian-Silesia) and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and
            Karpatho-Ukraine).

            (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

            Cierny means "black" in Slovak.
            C^erny' appears as a surname in Slovakia.
            Four surname C^erny' are listed under Borsky' Mikulás^, Slovakia.

            However in Czech-Bohemia, Cerny' (meaning a dark hair man, a dark
            skin man) is the 5th most common surname. About 5 % of the Czech
            population bear this surname.

            Frank Kurcina
          • helenezx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2000

              <<it listed Cerny (which is the surname I am

              looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS.>>

              Hi Rosemary

              In regard to the Slovak Pride listing - it means that a lister told of a
              Cerny ancestor who lived in Bor. Mikulas in old B ratislava County - if you
              would like to get in touch - contact me directly. It's a common name.

              Did you family say they were Slovak ?? or Czech?

              helene