Re: [S-R] Ellis Island Manifests

  • Katherine Ayers
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
      Bob,
      Do you mean that you cannot print the Ellis Island images, or not even save a copy on your computer?
      These images are in ".gif" format. I can save them on my computer, and they go to C:\my documents\my pictures. I can then open the saved images through my Adobe Photoshop Elements program, and I can print them, but the printed copies are not very readable. They seem not to have enough pixels. I understand that "gif" format is not well suited for printing.
      I'm not sure what you can get through Family History Library, but you might inquire, for you would be able to make copies from the actual microfilms. There is a film #1403774, but I think that is the index to other films. For Maria, I think you will need film series T715, roll 24, vol. 51. Perhaps someone else on this list might have more information about getting the films through FHL.
      If that doesn't work for you, I might be able to help, but I'm not sure just when. I live about 50 miles from NARA in Pittsfield, MA. I will be going there again, but don't yet have a date planned. I believe they have all of the Ellis Island passenger list microfilms, and 11" x 17" copies of the microfilm pages can be made for about 30 to 50 cents each. These are NOT frameable quality copies, but should be adequate for documentation purposes.
      You can let me know if you want me to try to get copies for you at NARA.
      Regards,
      Kay in Massachusetts

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2006
        Thank you so much for your info. I will try to get to
        our local LDS center to order the films. As far as the
        NARA i appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask you to
        do this,I will contact them myself when I can get the
        chance.
        The info I received from Paula using the small box in
        the upper right hand corner of the magnified image
        works for some but not for the "Jan Suger" manifest. I
        am still working on it
        Thanks again
        Bob from Michigan

        --- Katherine Ayers <kayers2@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        Yahoo!
        Terms of Service.

        send blank email to

        Cellular phone family plan
        Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy
        family tree

        c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        send blank email to

        Slovak
        republic Genealogy
        research Cellular
        phone family plan
        Family genealogy
        Family vacations
        Genealogy family tree

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • Paula
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Bob, give me your email address and I'll forward the images to you.
          I overrided the .gif and changed it to .jpg. If you have a photo
          program you can crop the pages and make them easier to read.
          I hope these are the images from 1913 because the first J. Suger
          isn't even on that manifest.

          paula

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, voony <voony@s...> wrote:

          > Thank you so much for your info. I will try to get to
          > our local LDS center to order the films. As far as the
          > NARA i appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask you to
          > do this,I will contact them myself when I can get the
          > chance.
          > The info I received from Paula using the small box in
          > the upper right hand corner of the magnified image
          > works for some but not for the "Jan Suger" manifest. I
          > am still working on it
          > Thanks again
          > Bob from Michigan
          >
          > --- Katherine Ayers <kayers2@c...> wrote:
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Bob,
          > Do you mean that you cannot print the Ellis Island
          > images, or not even save a copy on your computer?
          > These images are in ".gif" format. I can save
          > them on my computer, and they go to C:\my documents\my
          > pictures. I can then open the saved images through my
          > Adobe Photoshop Elements program, and I can print
          > them, but the printed copies are not very readable.
          > They seem not to have enough pixels. I understand
          > that "gif" format is not well suited for printing.
          > I'm not sure what you can get through Family
          > History Library, but you might inquire, for you would
          > be able to make copies from the actual microfilms.
          > There is a film #1403774, but I think that is the
          > index to other films. For Maria, I think you will
          > need film series T715, roll 24, vol. 51. Perhaps
          > someone else on this list might have more information
          > about getting the films through FHL.
          > If that doesn't work for you, I might be able to
          > help, but I'm not sure just when. I live about 50
          > miles from NARA in Pittsfield, MA. I will be going
          > there again, but don't yet have a date planned. I
          > believe they have all of the Ellis Island passenger
          > list microfilms, and 11" x 17" copies of the microfilm
          > pages can be made for about 30 to 50 cents each.
          > These are NOT frameable quality copies, but should be
          > adequate for documentation purposes.
          > You can let me know if you want me to try to get
          > copies for you at NARA.
          > Regards,
          > Kay in Massachusetts

        • Katherine Ayers
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            Paula,
            Could you share with me how you are able to save images as ".jpg"? I'm given the choices of ".gif" and ".bmp" only.
            By the way, Jan Suger is the one from 1896. If you page forward the manifest, he's on the next page.
            Thanks,
            Kay
> [...]

            > adequate for documentation purposes.
            > You can let me know if you want me to try to get
            > copies for you at NARA.
            > Regards,
            > Kay in Massachusetts

            > Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.

            > send blank email to

            > Cellular phone family plan
            > Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy
            > family tree

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > send blank email to

            > Slovak
            > republic Genealogy
            > research Cellular
            > phone family plan
            > Family genealogy
            > Family vacations
            > Genealogy family tree

            > Terms of Service.

            Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
              Kay & All,

              I have manifests stored as both .gif and .jpg and have no trouble
              reading either version as tehy are. I recommend going on line and
              downloading the free-ware "Irfanview". It is less than 1 MB but it
              is a powerful program. I include it on the CD's that I pass on to
              friends. Irfanview can do everything but paint or add text. It
              reads virtually every format that is out there, it enlarges & crops,
              changes format from one to the other, say from .gif to .jpg, and you
              can enlarge a part of a photo to study the text, add contrast to
              clarify it, or do the same with color changes.

              If you are worried about safe download sites, a link at the
              reputable "www.tucows.com" site should take you to it.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Ayers"
              <kayers2@c...> wrote:

              > Paula,
              > Could you share with me how you are able to save images
              as ".jpg"? I'm given the choices of ".gif" and ".bmp" only.
              > By the way, Jan Suger is the one from 1896. If you page
              forward the manifest, he's on the next page.
              > Thanks,
              > Kay

            • voony
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                Paula, Thanks
                E-mail is voony@...
                Bob in Michigan

                ---------------------------------

                <voony@s...> wrote:

                > Thank you so much for your info. I will try to get
                > our local LDS center to order the films. As far as
                the
                > NARA i appreciate the offer but I couldn't ask you
                > do this,I will contact them myself when I can get
                the
                > chance.
                > The info I received from Paula using the small box
                in
                > the upper right hand corner of the magnified image
                > works for some but not for the "Jan Suger" manifest.
                > am still working on it
                > Thanks again
                > Bob from Michigan
                >
                > --- Katherine Ayers <kayers2@c...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > Bob,
                > Do you mean that you cannot print the Ellis
                Island
                > images, or not even save a copy on your computer?
                > These images are in ".gif" format. I can save
                > them on my computer, and they go to C:\my
                documents\my
                > pictures. I can then open the saved images through
                my
                > Adobe Photoshop Elements program, and I can print
                > them, but the printed copies are not very readable.
                > They seem not to have enough pixels. I understand
                > that "gif" format is not well suited for printing.
                > I'm not sure what you can get through Family
                > History Library, but you might inquire, for you
                would
                > be able to make copies from the actual microfilms.
                > There is a film #1403774, but I think that is the
                > index to other films. For Maria, I think you will
                > need film series T715, roll 24, vol. 51. Perhaps
                > someone else on this list might have more
                information
                > about getting the films through FHL.
                > If that doesn't work for you, I might be able to
                > help, but I'm not sure just when. I live about 50
                > miles from NARA in Pittsfield, MA. I will be going
                > there again, but don't yet have a date planned. I
                > believe they have all of the Ellis Island passenger
                > list microfilms, and 11" x 17" copies of the
                microfilm
                > pages can be made for about 30 to 50 cents each.
                > These are NOT frameable quality copies, but should
                be
                > adequate for documentation purposes.
                > You can let me know if you want me to try to get
                > copies for you at NARA.
                > Regards,
                > Kay in Massachusetts

                research
                > Cellular phone family plan
                > Family genealogy Family vacations
                Genealogy
                > family tree

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                removed]

                > send blank email to

                Slovak
                > republic
                Genealogy
                > research Cellular
                > phone family plan

                > Family genealogy

                > Family vacations

                > Genealogy family tree

                Yahoo!

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                  On the line where you type in the name of what you are saving
                  put "(dot).jpeg" after the name and it overrides the bmp or gif. I
                  started doing that last summer when I couldn't find what I had
                  saved. I use Internet Explorer as my browser, so I don't know if
                  that makes a difference or not.

                  paula

                  <kayers2@c...> wrote:

                  > Paula,
                  > Could you share with me how you are able to save images
                  as ".jpg"? I'm given the choices of ".gif" and ".bmp" only.
                  > By the way, Jan Suger is the one from 1896. If you page
                  forward the manifest, he's on the next page.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Kay

                • Paula
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                    That should be .jpg not .jpeg. Sorry.

                    Paula

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <hotrodkitty2000@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > On the line where you type in the name of what you are saving
                    > put "(dot).jpeg" after the name and it overrides the bmp or gif.
                    > started doing that last summer when I couldn't find what I had
                    > saved. I use Internet Explorer as my browser, so I don't know if
                    > that makes a difference or not.
                    >
                    > paula
                    >

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Ayers"
                    > <kayers2@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Paula,
                    > > Could you share with me how you are able to save images
                    > as ".jpg"? I'm given the choices of ".gif" and ".bmp" only.
                    > > By the way, Jan Suger is the one from 1896. If you page
                    > forward the manifest, he's on the next page.
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Kay

                    Terms
                    > of Service.

                  • Katherine Ayers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                      Thank you Paula.
                      My computer training is rather dated, so I appreciate getting these helps.
                      Kay
                      > On the line where you type in the name of what you are saving
                      > put "(dot).jpeg" after the name and it overrides the bmp or gif.
                      > started doing that last summer when I couldn't find what I had
                      > saved. I use Internet Explorer as my browser, so I don't know if
                      > that makes a difference or not.
                      >
                      > paula
                      >

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Ayers"
                      > <kayers2@c...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Paula,
                      > > Could you share with me how you are able to save images
                      > as ".jpg"? I'm given the choices of ".gif" and ".bmp" only.
                      > > By the way, Jan Suger is the one from 1896. If you page
                      > forward the manifest, he's on the next page.
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Kay

                      > > > Yahoo!
                      > > > Terms of Service.

                      > > > send blank email to

                      > > > Cellular phone family plan
                      > > > Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy
                      > > > family tree

                      > > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                      > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                      > > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                      > > > send blank email to

                      > > > Slovak
                      > > > republic Genealogy
                      > > > research Cellular
                      > > > phone family plan
                      > > > Family genealogy
                      > > > Family vacations
                      > > > Genealogy family tree

                      > > > Terms of Service.

                      > phone family plan
                      > > Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family
                      tree

                      Terms
                      > of Service.

                    • Paula
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                        No problem. I didn't know you could do that til last spring. I
                        always used to save them as bmp or gif and then open them in Picture
                        It and change them to jpg. Bill T. taught me to do that a few years
                        ago when I overloaded his in box with bmp files. That was a mess!

                        paula