Re: [S-R] Turansky/Sugar

  • Katherine Ayers
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
      Bob,
      Take a look at the entry on Line 24 of this manifest. Could this possibly be your Marie?

      http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=602516010056

      I do not see any possibilities with last name beginning with "T" recorded at Ellis Island, concluding either that she came through another port, or they recorded her name as beginning with some other letter.
      Let us know what you think on the above passenger.
      Kay in Massachusetts

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
        Once again thanks to the group
        The entry on the Ellis manifest is that of Maria
        Turansky, the interpreters spelling is obviously
        wrong. When you look at the original manifest you
        immediately see that written as a Z which translates
        to a T in English. I am curious how you search for it
        I would never have found it under that spelling. Armed
        with this info I will attempt to contact church record
        through the LDS.
        How do you get the Ellis Island info changed to
        reflect the correctness?
        Again thanks to the group, keep up thr GOOD work.
        Bob in Michigan

        --- Katherine Ayers <kayers2@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
        send blank email to

        c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        send blank email to

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
          I interpret the EI listing to show the village of origin as Kasso
          (could even be Rasso or Lasso), which is Kozuchov on current maps.
          There is nothing else on the 1910 map which would suggest a different
          village in the area. I think that we have it pegged correctly.

          > http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=602516010056

          BTW, my clan is 15 km northeast in Dubravka. You would probably get
          wet feet crossing about 5 canals in between the two places.
          Interesting museum to the north in Trebisov and a fine wine store too.
        • Katherine Ayers
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
            Hallelujah! Glad to know that we finally have found Maria's Ellis Island record! I had tried before, when we got Jan's record, but couldn't find it then. It's good that you posted the query again.
            As far as how I search, I'm still a novice, so don't have an exact science. I use the website at www.stephenmorse.org, which I think is far superior to the Ellis Island website.
            For Maria, I first tried to find her by her exact surname, narrowing the search a little by the beginning of the given name and by an approximate year of arrival and year of birth. Of course it pulled up nothing. So, I kept re-trying the search with less and less of the last name. I finally did a search for first name starts with "Mar", last name starts with "T", year of arrival between 1895 and 1898, and year of birth between 1881 and 1881, and it, also, came up with no likely prospects. Concluded then that she either came through some other port, or that Ellis Island recorded her last name as beginning with some other letter.
            I decided to re-search for "Mar", with various last initials, with the same year of arrival and year of birth parameters. Tried "F" for the last name, only because in Palmer penmanship that letter is written similar to the "T". (It may be lousy logic, but it worked.)
            I do not know how you get Ellis Island to correct a record, but there must be a way. Perhaps you could query the list with something to that effect in the subject line?
            I'm glad JohnQAdam was able to give you some insight on her place of residence. Wishing you success with the old-country microfilms!
            Kay

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
              I use the Morse site too. I thought you needed three letters minimum
              for surname. I generally use one letter for given name. If the list is
              too long, I also check Magyar and Slovak. Years are used if known. I
              also use "three letter" village names.

              You just never know what works.
            • bemimitwo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2006
                Just a note,
                I also could not find my grandfather for years of searching ellis island.
                I knew he came with his father who i could find, but not my grandfather.
                I began searching all distant family names to see who they were traveling
                with.
                Behold i found him, he was with the other teens as a group and his name was
                clear
                on the manifest but spelled all wrong on typed document.
                when you used their spelling it also returned no such person.

                jennifer

              • krisstrot@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2006
                  voony voony@... asked:

                  How do you get the Ellis Island info changed to
                  reflect the correctness?

                  Voony:
                  There is a place on the Passenger Record page (the page you get to first after finding a name of interest, and just before you actually "view the manifest") where you can submit a correction. It is a little box on the right hand side of the page toward the bottom. I have used it numerous times to submit changes for village names or spelling of last name, etc. and always get an acknowledgement from Ellis. I can't right now recall if it was simply a "Thank you for your suggested change" or an "Our records have been corrected" type of e-mail, but there was always an acknowledgement. Of course, if you can't find your ancestor through Ellis and instead use Steve Morse's site to locate the manifest page, I don't know how you'd be able to submit a change.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Kris

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Several Years ago I was able to download the manifests
                    that Ellis Island allowed ID to look at with the
                    manifest magnifier. For some reason this is no longer
                    available for me. I am wondering if anyone has figured
                    out an economical way do do this? I have no problem
                    paying for an occasional frame able version from Ellis
                    Island but to do so for every relative I have in my
                    tree,that came through Ellis is cost prohibitive.
                    Bob from Michigan

                    ---------------------------------

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------
                  • voony
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 11, 2006
                      Thanks Kris I will try it
                      Bob

                      --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                      ---------------------------------
                      voony voony@... asked:

[...]

                      -or- send blank email to
                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                      send blank email to

                      Slovak
                      republic Genealogy
                      research Cellular
                      phone family plan
                      Family genealogy
                      Family vacations
                      Genealogy family tree

                      Terms of Service.

                      ---------------------------------
                    • Paula
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 11, 2006
                        Bob, what I do is magnify the page and then right click. It will
                        tell you that the function is disabled, click OK. After you do that
                        the little task bar should show up in the upper left hand corner
                        showing where you can save, print, email and something else. Try
                        that and see if it works for you. I've been told it won't work on a
                        laptop tho.

                        Paula

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 11, 2006
                          Paula's method works if you are using the Microsoft Internet Explorer web
                          browser.

                          Bill

                          Bob, what I do is magnify the page and then right click. It will
                          tell you that the function is disabled, click OK. After you do that
                          the little task bar should show up in the upper left hand corner
                          showing where you can save, print, email and something else. Try
                          that and see if it works for you. I've been told it won't work on a
                          laptop tho.

                          Paula

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, voony <voony@s...> wrote:

                          > Several Years ago I was able to download the manifests
                          > that Ellis Island allowed ID to look at with the
                          > manifest magnifier. For some reason this is no longer
                          > available for me. I am wondering if anyone has figured
                          > out an economical way do do this? I have no problem
                          > paying for an occasional frame able version from Ellis
                          > Island but to do so for every relative I have in my
                          > tree,that came through Ellis is cost prohibitive.
                          > Bob from Michigan
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------

                          > Terms of Service.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Mary T
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 23, 2009
                            Hi all,
                            I never noticed this before on Ellis Island images.
                            So I did some clicking and found the film number for the national archives. You can use this number to translate it to the LDS film number !

                            On the top menu bar on the computer, click on VIEW. Then click on SOURCE.
                            Popup will appear. At the top of the popup, you will see something similar to this:
                            \\192.168.4.226\IMAGES\T715-1398\T715-13980074.TIF

                            The National Archives film number is T715-1398.

                            Hope this helps everyone with their research !
                            Maryellen
                          • conserg@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 23, 2009
                              Mary Ellen -

                              Thank you for that information.? However I went to the local branch of the National Arichives and when I viewed the Ellis Island images, I found exactly what I viewed using either Ellis Island or Ancestry.com.? Is there something else that the National Archives would provide that I am not seeing at the sites mentioned

                              Jean

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 23, 2009
                                Mary Ellen,
                                When you use "View Source" with a right click what you get can be very different from what you saw.
                                I was using Google Chrome and 686 lines of information appeared on the screen. Most of which only a computer specialist could understand. I got the same result using Foxfire.
                                Was there a particular page where you got such a short "source"?