GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA

  • Bill & Pat Galovich
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
      Hello List: I'm a new subscriber to this list and I live in Mission,
      B.C. Canada. I'm presently researching my father-in-law's family from
      Slovakia. His name was George Matt Galovich and he was born in 1900 at
      Bradislava, Hranobnica, the s/o Jozef Galovich and Maria Benkova. His
      siblings include Maria (Mary) b. 1886, Jozef (Bill) b. 1888, Anna b.
      1891 and Zuzana (Susan) b. 1898. I would like to communicate with
      anyone who might have any information about this family.

      Thank you and regards,
      Pat
    • grayce ezarik
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
        So you live in Canada, I visited there as a child and again later as an
        adult. Now I wish I could go again and do some research of my Grandfather's
        family, the Deroins.
        My other Grandfather and Grandmother, the Petriseks, came from Yugoslavia,
        but were pure Germans stock. My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Orlosky came
        from Old Slav Stock living between the Carpathian and Tatra Mountains.
        Now the Northeastern part of Czechoslovakia: formerly a part of the
        Austro-Hungarian Empire.
        Pat, wouldn't it be great to find some old maps that show all these towns
        and villages, so we could at least see where we originated? Where is
        Slovakia? I don't remember learning about that country in school. I had
        best get out my Atlas again.......good luck........Grayce Petrick (Petrisek)
        Ezarik

        > From: Bill & Pat Galovich <bill-pat_galovich@...>
        > Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:10:59 -0700
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com
        > Subject: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA
        >
        > Hello List: I'm a new subscriber to this list and I live in Mission,
        > B.C. Canada. I'm presently researching my father-in-law's family from
        > Slovakia. His name was George Matt Galovich and he was born in 1900 at
        > Bradislava, Hranobnica, the s/o Jozef Galovich and Maria Benkova. His
        > siblings include Maria (Mary) b. 1886, Jozef (Bill) b. 1888, Anna b.
        > 1891 and Zuzana (Susan) b. 1898. I would like to communicate with
        > anyone who might have any information about this family.
        >
        > Thank you and regards,
        > Pat

      • Bill & Pat Galovich
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
          Thank you Grace, for your response. If you can tell me where in Canada you are
          searching for the Deroins, perhaps I can help.

          Yes, it would be nice to see some old maps of the towns. Slovakia was in fact
          part of Czechoslovakia up until the 1980s (someone might want to correct me on
          the date); so we now have, of course, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

          My knowledge of Eastern Europe is extremely limited, so please check other
          sources with regard to the country's political history!

          Regards,
          Pat
          _______________________

          grayce ezarik wrote:

          > Now I wish I could go again and do some research of my Grandfather's
          > family, the Deroins.
          > Pat, wouldn't it be great to find some old maps that show all these towns
          > and villages, so we could at least see where we originated? Where is
          > Slovakia? I don't remember learning about that country in school. I had
          > best get out my Atlas again.......good luck........Grayce Petrick (Petrisek)
          > Ezarik

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2000
            At 03:30 PM 4/27/00 -0400, you wrote:

            >My other Grandfather and Grandmother, the Petriseks, came from Yugoslavia,
            >but were pure Germans stock. My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Orlosky came
            >from Old Slav Stock living between the Carpathian and Tatra Mountains.
            >Now the Northeastern part of Czechoslovakia: formerly a part of the
            >Austro-Hungarian Empire.

            I have Petris^ak relatives from the NE Slovakia area.

            > Pat, wouldn't it be great to find some old maps that show all these towns
            >and villages, so we could at least see where we originated? Where is
            >Slovakia? I don't remember learning about that country in school. I had
            >best get out my Atlas again.......good luck........Grayce Petrick (Petrisek)
            >Ezarik

            the following sites contain old maps of Austria Hungary and Northern or
            Upper Hungary, which is now Slovakia. You will need to know the current
            Slovak name for the Hungarian towns prior to 1918.

            http://feefhs.org/maps/indexmap.html

            http://feefhs.org/maps/ah/ah-nhung.html

            http://www.lemko.org/maps100/index.html

            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/1910ind.htm

            John
          • grayce ezarik
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2000
              Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
              that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
              was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
              only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
              came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
              them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
              did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
              Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
              unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
              settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
              part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
              had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
              getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
              ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?
              > From: Bill & Pat Galovich <bill-pat_galovich@...>
              > Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:46:13 -0700
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com
              > Subject: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA
              >
              > Thank you Grace, for your response. If you can tell me where in Canada you
              > are
              > searching for the Deroins, perhaps I can help.
              >
              > Yes, it would be nice to see some old maps of the towns. Slovakia was in fact
              > part of Czechoslovakia up until the 1980s (someone might want to correct me on
              > the date); so we now have, of course, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
              >
              > My knowledge of Eastern Europe is extremely limited, so please check other
              > sources with regard to the country's political history!
              >
              > Regards,
              > Pat
              > _______________________
              >
              > grayce ezarik wrote:
              >
              >> Now I wish I could go again and do some research of my Grandfather's
              >> family, the Deroins.
              >> Pat, wouldn't it be great to find some old maps that show all these towns
              >> and villages, so we could at least see where we originated? Where is
              >> Slovakia? I don't remember learning about that country in school. I had
              >> best get out my Atlas again.......good luck........Grayce Petrick (Petrisek)
              >> Ezarik

            • grayce ezarik
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2000
                Pat, you know that the Petrisek name was retranslated at Ellis Island as
                they didn't know how to spell in it Enlish, could Petrisak be one and the
                same.....they did leave behind a large family, my Grandfather George did not
                want to come over here, but had to bring my Father Bill,as he was only a
                youngster to join my Grandmother who had come over earlier with Adam Getto
                and his parents. They stayed with a family in Erie and all slept in one bed,
                until they heard about the mines in Ellsworth and Marianna PA......getting
                late............grayce

                > From: John <jmatsko@...>
                > Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:05:07 -0600
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA
                >
                > At 03:30 PM 4/27/00 -0400, you wrote:
                >
                >> My other Grandfather and Grandmother, the Petriseks, came from Yugoslavia,
                >> but were pure Germans stock. My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Orlosky came
                >> from Old Slav Stock living between the Carpathian and Tatra Mountains.
                >> Now the Northeastern part of Czechoslovakia: formerly a part of the
                >> Austro-Hungarian Empire.
                >
                > I have Petris^ak relatives from the NE Slovakia area.
                >
                >> Pat, wouldn't it be great to find some old maps that show all these towns
                >> and villages, so we could at least see where we originated? Where is
                >> Slovakia? I don't remember learning about that country in school. I had
                >> best get out my Atlas again.......good luck........Grayce Petrick (Petrisek)
                >> Ezarik
                >
                > the following sites contain old maps of Austria Hungary and Northern or
                > Upper Hungary, which is now Slovakia. You will need to know the current
                > Slovak name for the Hungarian towns prior to 1918.
                >
                > http://feefhs.org/maps/indexmap.html
                >
                > http://feefhs.org/maps/ah/ah-nhung.html
                >
                > http://www.lemko.org/maps100/index.html
                >
                > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/1910ind.htm
                >
                > John

              • Bill & Pat Galovich
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2000
                  Hi Grace: Yes, Hull is in Quebec. I live in B.C., however, I did a quick check on
                  the LDS IGI site using just the surname Derouin and came up with a total of 43
                  listings, all in Quebec. It might be worth your while to have a look see
                  (http://www.familysearch.org/). If you are not familiar with this site, let me know
                  and I can give you some tips as to how to best utilize it.

                  As far as the surname 'GALLOS', I have been advised that the Slavic (Hungarian)
                  spelling for GALOVICH is probably 'GALOVIC', with the C pronounced as "ch" and I
                  feel confident that it is not associated with Gallos.

                  Best of luck in your search!

                  Pat,
                  Mission, B.C.
                  ____________________________________

                  grayce ezarik wrote:

                  > Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
                  > that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
                  > was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
                  > only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
                  > came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
                  > them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
                  > did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
                  > Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
                  > unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
                  > settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
                  > part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
                  > had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
                  > getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
                  > ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?
                • Mona
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2000
                    Hi! Would you be familiar with the "Gyuk" name, pronounced with the "d"
                    sound. I've been told it's a very old Hungarian name. Any input would
                    be greatly appreciated.

                    Sincerely,
                    Mona
                    Nepean, Ontario

                    Bill & Pat Galovich wrote:

                    > Hi Grace: Yes, Hull is in Quebec. I live in B.C., however, I did a quick check on
                    > the LDS IGI site using just the surname Derouin and came up with a total of 43
                    > listings, all in Quebec. It might be worth your while to have a look see
                    > (http://www.familysearch.org/). If you are not familiar with this site, let me know
                    > and I can give you some tips as to how to best utilize it.
                    >
                    > As far as the surname 'GALLOS', I have been advised that the Slavic (Hungarian)
                    > spelling for GALOVICH is probably 'GALOVIC', with the C pronounced as "ch" and I
                    > feel confident that it is not associated with Gallos.
                    >
                    > Best of luck in your search!
                    >
                    > Pat,
                    > Mission, B.C.
                    > ____________________________________
                    >
                    > grayce ezarik wrote:
                    >
                    > > Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
                    > > that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
                    > > was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
                    > > only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
                    > > came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
                    > > them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
                    > > did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
                    > > Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
                    > > unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
                    > > settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
                    > > part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
                    > > had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
                    > > getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
                    > > ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?

                    > Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
                    > reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
                    > Click here for more details.
                  • Bill & Pat Galovich
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2000
                      Hi Mona and List: No, I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the name 'GYUK'. But perhaps
                      someone else from this list, more knowledgeable than I, will be able to help you. Best of
                      luck to you.

                      Pat
                      _________________________________

                    • helenezx@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2000

                        <<Gyuk" nam>>

                        Have 2 listings for Gyuk in Slovak Pride database - if you want to contact
                        listers, let me know.

                        helene
                      • Mona
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2000
                          Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
                          Slovak Pride database.

                          Thanks a Bunch!
                          Mona

                        • helenezx@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2000

                            <<Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
                            Slovak Pride database.

                            Hi Mona - would you be so kind and send this request to me after May 7 - I am
                            away from home and not sure I can save your request.

                            helene