[S-R] Rajeczfu"rdo"

  • James McGrath
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
      Hi! Can anyone help me with identifying a place named
      Rajeczfu"rdo". I think it is in the Trencin district
      from what little I've been able to find out so far. It
      is listed as a second place of residence for my
      great-great-grandmother, who I believe was born in
      Bavaria but I don't know where. This could help take
      me one more step towards unravelling some of the
      mysteries of that particular ancestral line.

      I'd also be interested if anyone knows where one might
      look to see where a particular military unit was
      stationed. One of my ancestors from Kosice was
      apparently in the 34th infantry division in the 1880s,
      and I'd like to see what else I can find out. I think
      I should even be able to find microfilmed records, now
      that I know what unit he was with.

      Thanks for any help anyone can give with these two
      points!

      James McGrath

      Just $16.99/mo. or less.
      dsl.yahoo.com
    • Laco R (Slovak Roots)
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
        Rajeczfu"rdo" is the hungarian name for todays Rajecké
        Teplice.

        Its near to Zilina - here is a map http://tinyurl.com/7jpe2

        And just an idea to bavarian conection - near to Rajecke
        Teplice is todays Rajecká Lesná - former Frywald or Friewald
        which sounds German.

        Laco

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
          Furdo is a spa in Slovak language, if that helps.
          Noreen

        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
            O yes?? Furdo means NOTHING in Slovak Language.

            Kupele means SPA.

            Vladi

            At 04:19 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
            >Furdo is a spa in Slovak language, if that helps.
            >Noreen

            >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

            > *
            >

            >----------
          • Antal Burjan
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
              On the other hand fürdõ (fu"rdo") indeed means spa (or bath, or bathing or even bathroom )... but in Hungarian :-)

              Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> escribió: O yes?? Furdo means NOTHING in Slovak Language.

              Kupele means SPA.

              Vladi

              At 04:19 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
              >Furdo is a spa in Slovak language, if that helps.
              >Noreen

              >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
              ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

              > *

              ---------------------------------

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
                Noreen, this is hungarian. Slovak word for it is teplice.
                Vladimir

                Furdo is a spa in Slovak language, if that helps.
                Noreen

                http://www.eset.sk

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Which is fine, but there is confusion that it was
                  SLOVAK which it wasn't. I don't speak Hungarian,
                  just the really bad swear words.

                  Vladi

                  At 07:01 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
                  >On the other hand fürdõ (fu"rdo") indeed means
                  >spa (or bath, or bathing or even bathroom )... but in Hungarian :-)
                  >
                  >Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> escribió: O
                  >yes?? Furdo means NOTHING in Slovak Language.
                  >
                  >Kupele means SPA.
                  >
                  >Vladi
                  >

                  >At 04:19 PM 1/5/2006, you wrote:
                  > >Furdo is a spa in Slovak language, if that helps.
                  > >Noreen

                  > ><<http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                  > >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

                  > > *

                  > > *
                  > >
                  > <<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo!
                  > Terms of Service.

                  >---------------------------------

                  >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                  ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

                  >republic
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Slovak+republic&w2=Genealogy+research&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=148&.sig=IxQG7-cGB8JZfk2mXXl8Yg>Genealogy
                  >research
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w1=Slovak+republic&w2=Genealogy+research&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=148&.sig=S2Db6XG5tAosqF70NYHWMg>Cellular
                  >phone family plan
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=Slovak+republic&w2=Genealogy+research&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=148&.sig=1D92S0upPyr3TMGKtl9ciA>Family
                  >genealogy
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+vacations&w1=Slovak+republic&w2=Genealogy+research&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=148&.sig=ZtKwZ0NUYi_-TGva0otlxA>Family
                  >vacations
                  ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=Slovak+republic&w2=Genealogy+research&w3=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w4=Family+genealogy&w5=Family+vacations&w6=Genealogy+family+tree&c=6&s=148&.sig=8N3Z9g6D2XvZJAcVlGXQXQ>Genealogy
                  >family tree

                  > *
                  > the <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  >

                  >----------
                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                    or kupele, as you well know.
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                      True, my mistake. Furdo is Hungarian for spa. as in Lublofurdo, Kenfurdo
                      etc etc.
                      Kupele it is!!
                      so Rajeczfurdo is left as it was spelled the Hungarian way, i would think

                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                        In a message dated 1/6/06 2:12:52 AM Eastern Standard Time, vlinder49@...
                        writes:

                        > don't speak Hungarian,
                        > just the really bad swear words.

                        Shame on you!

                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                          it all comes together on this map site given to us by Laco. Rajecke TEPLICE
                          is located to the west of the termalne KUPELE and in its olden days was
                          RajeczFURDO. uses all three words for spa reflecting different times.
                          Noreen

                        • nhasior@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                            I remember being in Lublofurdo, Slovakia and walking with no particular
                            destination out into path that led to a pipe coming out of the rock. beautiful
                            water was coming out and people were lined up with bottles, pails etc and filling
                            them up. i did not realize back then that these were probably curative
                            waters, with what knowledge i had those many years ago, i thought that this was how
                            people got their drinking water. i did learn very soon after, maybe only in
                            a matter of days that this was a very good water to drink. curative. pure.

                          • James McGrath
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                              Thanks to everyone for their replies. I've looked and
                              there is a history but no parish records for that
                              town. If my ancestors were born in Germany and then
                              subsequently moved there, they may not appear in
                              parish records anyway, but I was wondering whether
                              anyone knew whether there was a Roman Catholic parish
                              in the town, or if there was another nearby parish
                              that people might have attended.

                              Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

                              James

                              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                              dsl.yahoo.com
                            • johnqadam
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, James McGrath
                                <jamesfrankmcgrath@y...> wrote:
                                > no parish records for that town , , , whether there was a Roman
                                Catholic parish in the town, or if there was another nearby parish
                                that people might have attended.

                                LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                                Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                                references refer to different religions. Most of these church
                                records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                                Konska is a village 1.5 km to the south. LDS has Roman Catholic
                                parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations
                                for Konská, Slovakia, formerly Konszka, Liptó, Hungary.

                                Sobášení 1750-1799 Krstení 1750-1790 Zomrelí 1812-1842 Krstení 1750-
                                1774 Sobášení 1750-1774 Zomrelí 1750-1774 Krstení 1775-1785 - FHL
                                INTL Film [ 1924891 Items 5-7 ]

                                Krstení 1784-1806 Sobášení 1775-1804 Zomrelí 1775-1812 Krstení 1787-
                                1807 Sobášení 1775-1804 Zomrelí 1774-1794 Krstení 1778-1806 Sobášení
                                1775-1893 Zomrelí 1774-1806 Krstení 1800-1880 Birmovaní 1868 Krstení
                                1881-1890 - FHL INTL Film [ 1924892 ]

                                Krstení 1890-1905 Sobášení 1800-1910 Zomrelí 1843-1915 - FHL INTL
                                Film [ 1924893 Items 1-4 ]
                              • Alan Antoska
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                  There are 3 villages in slovakia named Konska, in 3
                                  different regions.
                                  The Konska village south of Rajecke Teplice is in the
                                  region of Zilina, NOT Liptovsky Mikulas (formerly Lipto).

                                  (Coincidently, I have relatives in both places; small
                                  world?)

                                  --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, James McGrath
                                  > <jamesfrankmcgrath@y...> wrote:
                                  > > no parish records for that town , , , whether there
                                  > was a Roman
                                  > Catholic parish in the town, or if there was another
                                  > nearby parish
                                  > that people might have attended.
                                  >
                                  > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                                  > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of
                                  > civil
                                  > registration. Provides details of church records that are
                                  > held in
                                  > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and
                                  > page
                                  > references refer to different religions. Most of these
                                  > church
                                  > records are available on film via your LDS Family History
                                  > Center.
                                  >
                                  > Konska is a village 1.5 km to the south. LDS has Roman
                                  > Catholic
                                  > parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and
                                  > confirmations
                                  > for Konská, Slovakia, formerly Konszka, Liptó, Hungary.
                                  >
                                  > Sobášení 1750-1799 Krstení 1750-1790 Zomrelí 1812-1842
                                  > Krstení 1750-
                                  > 1774 Sobášení 1750-1774 Zomrelí 1750-1774 Krstení
                                  > 1775-1785 - FHL
                                  > INTL Film [ 1924891 Items 5-7 ]
                                  >
                                  > Krstení 1784-1806 Sobášení 1775-1804 Zomrelí 1775-1812
                                  > Krstení 1787-
                                  > 1807 Sobášení 1775-1804 Zomrelí 1774-1794 Krstení
                                  > 1778-1806 Sobášení
                                  > 1775-1893 Zomrelí 1774-1806 Krstení 1800-1880 Birmovaní
                                  > 1868 Krstení
                                  > 1881-1890 - FHL INTL Film [ 1924892 ]
                                  >
                                  > Krstení 1890-1905 Sobášení 1800-1910 Zomrelí 1843-1915 -
                                  > FHL INTL
                                  > Film [ 1924893 Items 1-4 ]

                                • johnqadam
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                    > There are 3 villages in slovakia named Konska, in 3 different
                                    regions. The Konska village south of Rajecke Teplice is in the region
                                    of Zilina, NOT Liptovsky Mikulas (formerly Lipto).

                                    Alan, You got me on that one! Actually there are TWO Konska and TWO
                                    Konske, now that I have checked my Podrobny Auto Atlas.

                                    BTW, I would rather be suffering from your Aussie heat than our
                                    Canadian cold!

                                    John
                                  • Laco R (Slovak Roots)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                      Konska will be OK.

                                      Rajecke Teplice before 1808 and in the time 1888-1951 was
                                      part of Konska

                                      Laco

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                        Given Alan Antoska's correction, the nearest RC church records are
                                        for Rajec.

                                        LDS has Roman Catholic parish regsiters of baptisms, marriages,
                                        deaths, confirmations, conversions and family book for Rajec,
                                        Slovakia, formerly Rajecz, Trencsén, Hungary.

                                        Krstení 1674-1757 Zomrelí 1675-1762 Krstení 1758-1803 Zomrelí 1795-
                                        1798 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010681 Items 2-3 ]

                                        Zomrelí 1798-1807, 1763-1795 Krstení 1803-1821 Sobášení 1803-1822
                                        Krstení 1821-1848 Birmovaní 1831, 1836, 1842, 1859 Krstení 1849-
                                        1868 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010682 ]

                                        Krsteni 1868-1895 Rodná kniha 1690, 1728, 1734, 1749 Birmovaní 1798
                                        Sobášení 1710-1774 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010683 ]

                                        Sobášení 1774-1803 Konvertovaní 1721-1793 Sobášení 1822-1896 Zomrelí
                                        1808-1858 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010684 ]

                                        Zomrelí 1858-1868 Birmovaní 1876, 1884, 1888, Zomrelí 1869-1895 -
                                        FHL INTL Film [ 2010670 Items 1-4 ]
                                      • Vladimir Bohinc
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                          John,
                                          Konska was all right for Rajecke Teplice.
                                          Rajec records do not cover Rajecke teplice.
                                          Vladimir
                                          Given Alan Antoska's correction, the nearest RC church records are
                                          for Rajec.

                                          LDS has Roman Catholic parish regsiters of baptisms, marriages,
                                          deaths, confirmations, conversions and family book for Rajec,
                                          Slovakia, formerly Rajecz, Trencsén, Hungary.

                                          Krstení 1674-1757 Zomrelí 1675-1762 Krstení 1758-1803 Zomrelí 1795-
                                          1798 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010681 Items 2-3 ]

                                          Zomrelí 1798-1807, 1763-1795 Krstení 1803-1821 Sobásení 1803-1822
                                          Krstení 1821-1848 Birmovaní 1831, 1836, 1842, 1859 Krstení 1849-
                                          1868 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010682 ]

                                          Krsteni 1868-1895 Rodná kniha 1690, 1728, 1734, 1749 Birmovaní 1798
                                          Sobásení 1710-1774 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010683 ]

                                          Sobásení 1774-1803 Konvertovaní 1721-1793 Sobásení 1822-1896 Zomrelí
                                          1808-1858 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010684 ]

                                          Zomrelí 1858-1868 Birmovaní 1876, 1884, 1888, Zomrelí 1869-1895 -
                                          FHL INTL Film [ 2010670 Items 1-4 ]

                                          Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                                          http://www.eset.sk

                                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                            and, although there are two Konska places, only this one, the correct one, had a parish office and it's own books.
                                            Vladimir

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 6, 2006
                                              John,
                                              (yes 2 Konska & 2 Konske)
                                              I miss read the small font of the 'Podrobny' index, (and
                                              this was not the first time either).
                                              I for one, would welcome their index to use a larger font
                                              'Povelkom'. Maybe stronger reading glasses would help.

                                              --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                              > > There are 3 villages in slovakia named Konska, in 3
                                              > different
                                              > regions. The Konska village south of Rajecke Teplice is
                                              > in the region
                                              > of Zilina, NOT Liptovsky Mikulas (formerly Lipto).
                                              >
                                              > Alan, You got me on that one! Actually there are TWO
                                              > Konska and TWO
                                              > Konske, now that I have checked my Podrobny Auto Atlas.
                                              >
                                              > BTW, I would rather be suffering from your Aussie heat
                                              > than our
                                              > Canadian cold!
                                              >
                                              > John

                                              May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
                                              Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,
                                              Alan

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                If you use Microsoft windows, there is an adjustment to make the screen
                                                larger. Of course this means you see less on your screen at one time, but
                                                it could be a compromise worth considering for some people.

                                                Bill

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                  > I misread the small font of the 'Podrobny' index, (and
                                                  > this was not the first time either).
                                                  > I for one, would welcome their index to use a larger font
                                                  > 'Povelkom'. Maybe stronger reading glasses would help.

                                                  Yes, I agree. I use a magnifying glass to aid my failing eye sight.