RE: [S-R] Slovak Culture - Village Hierarchy

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
      Ron, and others, I know it sounds like the diary is about Hungary, and while
      most of it takes place there, he took a long trip to Turocz to visit
      relatives. These relatives for the most part were members of the Slovak
      nobility in the region. In addition, when his forebears moved south from
      Turocz in the 1700s they lived in Slovak villages in Nograd and northern
      Pest megyes. He himself spent his early childhood in a Slovak village and
      spoke Slovak fluently, as well as Hungarian, German, and Latin. He even
      wrote a poem in Slovak, using the old script, and numerous entries were
      written in German. It is a good illustration of how multilingual the area
      was (and often still is). Pest itself was a German city.

      Bear in mind also that most aspects of the culture were basically the same.
      Though there were minor regional differences, most aspects of daily life,
      religious rituals, and customs were the same throughout the Central European
      countries. I have noted many customs that purported to be "Slovak" or
      "Hungarian" were actually common to the area as a whole. Bill Tarkulich has
      pointed this out also. This is why the Grisak autobiography is so valuable
      as well, though he was Ruthenian.

      Finally, please don't expect this "book" to be out soon. It is a huge task
      to go through such a large body of writings, adding my annotations to
      explain or clarify some of the contents. I just hope that in the end it will
      be worth it.

      Janet