Re: [S-R] Films at LDS FHC

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      John,

      Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

      On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
      > wrote:
      > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
      >
      > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
      > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
      > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
      > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
      > marriages.
      >
      > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
      > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
      > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
      > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
      >
      > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
      > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
      >
      > > nationality and where you are from.
      >
      > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
      > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
      >
      > Good luck and happy squinting.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
        John,

        I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...> wrote:

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko jaschr71@g...
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > John,
        > >
        > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
        > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
        > be there?
        >
        > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
        > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
        >
        > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
        > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
        > Hungary.
        >
        > Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
        > 1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
        > 1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
        > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
        >
        > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
        > Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
        >
        > Those films will give you something to work on!
        >
        > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
        >
        > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
        > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
        > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
        > Tap.nemetfalu.
        >
        > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
        > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        > will likely find in church records.

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
            John,

            I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
            miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
            grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
            family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
            go. Thanks, Tom
            <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>