Films at LDS FHC

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
      wrote:
      > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

      You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
      tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
      1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
      church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
      marriages.

      When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
      religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
      village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
      two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

      Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
      LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

      > nationality and where you are from.

      Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
      to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

      Good luck and happy squinting.
    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        John,

        Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

        On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
        > wrote:
        > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
        >
        > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
        > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
        > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
        > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
        > marriages.
        >
        > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
        > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
        > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
        > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
        >
        > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
        > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
        >
        > > nationality and where you are from.
        >
        > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
        > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
        >
        > Good luck and happy squinting.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
          John,

          I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...> wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko jaschr71@g...
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > John,
          > >
          > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
          > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
          > be there?
          >
          > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
          > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
          >
          > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
          > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
          > Hungary.
          >
          > Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
          > 1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
          > 1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
          > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
          >
          > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
          > Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
          >
          > Those films will give you something to work on!
          >
          > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
          >
          > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
          > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
          > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
          > Tap.nemetfalu.
          >
          > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
          > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
          > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
          > will likely find in church records.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
              John,

              I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
              miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
              grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
              family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
              go. Thanks, Tom
              <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>