Re: [S-R] HANKOVCE

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
      records. Thanks Again, Tom

      On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
      >

      > Bill

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        wrote:
        > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

        You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
        tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
        1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
        church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
        marriages.

        When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
        religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
        village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
        two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

        Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
        LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

        > nationality and where you are from.

        Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
        to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

        Good luck and happy squinting.
      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          John,

          Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

          On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
          >
          > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
          > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
          > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
          > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
          > marriages.
          >
          > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
          > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
          > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
          > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
          >
          > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
          > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
          >
          > > nationality and where you are from.
          >
          > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
          > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
          >
          > Good luck and happy squinting.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
            John,

            I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
              John,

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                John,

                I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                go. Thanks, Tom
                <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>