Re: [S-R] Olsavce lutheran Church Records

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      John,

      Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
      Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
      nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

      On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > John,
      > >
      > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
      > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
      > be there?
      >
      > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
      > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
      >
      > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
      > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
      > Hungary.
      >
      > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
      > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
      > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
      > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
      >
      > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
      > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
      >
      > Those films will give you something to work on!
      >
      > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
      >
      > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
      > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
      > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
      > Tap.nemetfalu.
      >
      > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
      > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
      > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
      > will likely find in church records.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
        records. Thanks Again, Tom

        On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
        >

        > Bill

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          wrote:
          > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

          You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
          tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
          1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
          church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
          marriages.

          When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
          religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
          village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
          two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

          Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
          LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

          > nationality and where you are from.

          Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
          to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

          Good luck and happy squinting.
        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            John,

            Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

            On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
            > wrote:
            > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
            >
            > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
            > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
            > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
            > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
            > marriages.
            >
            > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
            > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
            > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
            > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
            >
            > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
            > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
            >
            > > nationality and where you are from.
            >
            > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
            > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
            >
            > Good luck and happy squinting.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
              John,

              I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                  John,

                  I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                  miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                  grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                  family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                  go. Thanks, Tom
                  <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>