HANKOVCE

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        John,

        Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
        Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
        nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

        On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > John,
        > >
        > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
        > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
        > be there?
        >
        > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
        > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
        >
        > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
        > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
        > Hungary.
        >
        > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
        > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
        > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
        > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
        >
        > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
        > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
        >
        > Those films will give you something to work on!
        >
        > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
        >
        > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
        > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
        > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
        > Tap.nemetfalu.
        >
        > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
        > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        > will likely find in church records.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
          records. Thanks Again, Tom

          On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
          >

          > Bill

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            wrote:
            > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

            You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
            tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
            1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
            church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
            marriages.

            When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
            religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
            village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
            two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

            Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
            LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

            > nationality and where you are from.

            Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
            to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

            Good luck and happy squinting.
          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
              John,

              Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

              On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
              > wrote:
              > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
              >
              > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
              > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
              > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
              > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
              > marriages.
              >
              > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
              > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
              > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
              > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
              >
              > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
              > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
              >
              > > nationality and where you are from.
              >
              > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
              > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
              >
              > Good luck and happy squinting.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                John,

                I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                    John,

                    I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                    miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                    grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                    family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                    go. Thanks, Tom
                    <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>