Re: [S-R] Re: Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
      Bill,

      You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
      question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
      another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          John,

          Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
          Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
          nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

          On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > John,
          > >
          > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
          > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
          > be there?
          >
          > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
          > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
          >
          > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
          > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
          > Hungary.
          >
          > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
          > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
          > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
          > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
          >
          > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
          > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
          >
          > Those films will give you something to work on!
          >
          > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
          >
          > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
          > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
          > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
          > Tap.nemetfalu.
          >
          > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
          > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
          > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
          > will likely find in church records.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
            records. Thanks Again, Tom

            On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

            > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
            >

            > Bill

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
              wrote:
              > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

              You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
              tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
              1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
              church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
              marriages.

              When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
              religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
              village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
              two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

              Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
              LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

              > nationality and where you are from.

              Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
              to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

              Good luck and happy squinting.
            • Tom Potsko
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                John,

                Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                > wrote:
                > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                >
                > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                > marriages.
                >
                > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                >
                > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                >
                > > nationality and where you are from.
                >
                > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                >
                > Good luck and happy squinting.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                  John,

                  I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                      John,

                      I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                      miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                      grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                      family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                      go. Thanks, Tom
                      <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>