RE: [S-R] Re: Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hancovce, Snina District
      According to SR Archives, these village records are stored in the following
      village files:
      Jewish - Humenne
      RC - Lubisa
      GC - Maskovce

      Hancovce, Bratislava District
      RC - Hancovce
      Jewish Kurima
      Evangelic- Marhan
      GC - Resov

      Bill

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
        Bill,

        You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
        question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
        another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            John,

            Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
            Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
            nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

            On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > John,
            > >
            > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
            > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
            > be there?
            >
            > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
            > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
            >
            > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
            > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
            > Hungary.
            >
            > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
            > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
            > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
            > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
            >
            > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
            > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
            >
            > Those films will give you something to work on!
            >
            > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
            >
            > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
            > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
            > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
            > Tap.nemetfalu.
            >
            > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
            > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
            > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
            > will likely find in church records.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
              Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
              records. Thanks Again, Tom

              On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

              > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
              >

              > Bill

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                wrote:
                > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

                You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
                1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                marriages.

                When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

                Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

                > nationality and where you are from.

                Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

                Good luck and happy squinting.
              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                  John,

                  Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                  On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                  >
                  > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                  > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                  > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                  > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                  > marriages.
                  >
                  > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                  > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                  > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                  > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                  >
                  > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                  > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                  >
                  > > nationality and where you are from.
                  >
                  > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                  > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                  >
                  > Good luck and happy squinting.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                    John,

                    I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                        John,

                        I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                        miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                        grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                        family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                        go. Thanks, Tom
                        <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>