Looking Up Different Religions

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
      wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
      > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
      be there? I
      > overlayed that message # in
      > http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it?
      Thanks, Tom

      YES . . .

      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
      references refer to different religions. Most of these church
      records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
        wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
        > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
        be there?

        Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
        The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.

        LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
        deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
        Hungary.

        Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
        1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
        1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
        INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]

        LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
        Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7

        Those films will give you something to work on!

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

        Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
        along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
        village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
        Tap.nemetfalu.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        will likely find in church records.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hancovce, Snina District
          According to SR Archives, these village records are stored in the following
          village files:
          Jewish - Humenne
          RC - Lubisa
          GC - Maskovce

          Hancovce, Bratislava District
          RC - Hancovce
          Jewish Kurima
          Evangelic- Marhan
          GC - Resov

          Bill

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            Bill,

            You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
            question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
            another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
              My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Tom Potsko
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                John,

                Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
                Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
                nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

                On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > John,
                > >
                > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                > be there?
                >
                > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
                > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
                >
                > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
                > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
                > Hungary.
                >
                > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
                > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
                > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
                > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
                >
                > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
                >
                > Those films will give you something to work on!
                >
                > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
                >
                > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
                > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
                > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
                > Tap.nemetfalu.
                >
                > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                > will likely find in church records.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
                  records. Thanks Again, Tom

                  On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                  > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
                  >

                  > Bill

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                    wrote:
                    > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

                    You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                    tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
                    1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                    church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                    marriages.

                    When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                    religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                    village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                    two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

                    Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                    LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

                    > nationality and where you are from.

                    Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                    to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

                    Good luck and happy squinting.
                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                      John,

                      Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                      On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                      >
                      > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                      > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                      > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                      > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                      > marriages.
                      >
                      > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                      > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                      > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                      > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                      >
                      > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                      > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                      >
                      > > nationality and where you are from.
                      >
                      > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                      > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                      >
                      > Good luck and happy squinting.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                        John,

                        I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                            John,

                            I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                            miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                            grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                            family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                            go. Thanks, Tom
                            <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>