Re: [S-R] Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      Tom --
      You're looking for this village:
      Kamionka (aka Kamjanka Rymanivska), which was inhabited by Carpatho-Rusyns of the Lemko subgroup. The region was unofficially called "Lemkovyna" -- the Lemko Region -- and was in Austrian Galicia, now southeastern Poland. The closest towns are Sanok, Rymanow, and Dukla.

      http://lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg59.html
      I believe it no longer exists as an inhabited place (it's just east of Zawadka Rymanowska, beyond where the road ends).

      Families in the village who owned land in 1787 are listed here:
      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/139.htm

      If you want more info you may e-mail me privately.

      RDC

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Richard,

        My joining Slovak-Roots has now been very rewarding in a matter of days. I
        had read about the Lemko region previously, and my personal opinion was that
        Kamionka was in Southeastern Poland by the Sian River. Would Carpatho-Rusyns
        consider themselves Ukrainian or Ruthenian? And may I ask what nationality
        are you? I've never been on an international genealogical message before.
        This amazes me. Thanks so much, Tom