Re: [S-R] Re: Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
      John,

      Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
      religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records be there? I
      overlayed that message # in
      http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it? Thanks, Tom

      On 1/2/06, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:

      > Although I found the names Patsko or Pacho on LDS FamilySearch website,
      > they are not on a microfilm. It was at a Family History center. I've made
      > some visits to Bill Tarkulich's website and ShtelSeeker. *If I read your
      > answer correctly, that Arsod, Hungary and Orsocz, Austria are other names
      > for Olsavce, Slovakia or Czechoslovakia *, then I have three souces that
      > agree on a village of birth, although I have a lot that say Olsavec, which I
      > think is in Spis. Based upon what you've given me I can go to the other
      > church record sites looking for Packo names in the Olsavce parish which I
      > believe is in Hancovce. Thanks, Tom
      >
      > On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.
      > >
      > > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
      > > CENTER (FHC)
      > > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
      > > village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
      > > national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
      > > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
      > > name, go to the LDS web site:
      > > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
      > >
      > > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
      > > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
      > > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      > > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      > > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      > > research. Have you done this?
      > >
      > > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      > > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
      > > translations.
      > >
      > > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      > > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message
      > > #forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages for
      > > details.
      > >
      > > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      > > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      > > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
      > >
      > > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
      > > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
      > > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
      > > will likely find in church records.
      > >
      > > CURRENT MAP
      > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
      > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
      > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
      > >
      > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
      > >
      > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
      > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      > > Ukraine
      > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
      > > Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
        Tom,
        Yes, there are separate records for the various churches in the
        1800s and late 1700s. Earlier records were kept by the Roman
        Catholic Church for all the various religions.

        Go to the 1877 Dvorzsák Gazetteer (see Bill Tarkulich's tool box for
        the link) and look up your ancestor's county and then their
        village. It will tell you where the specific records are for that
        religion for that town. It maybe a nearby town if they didn't have
        their own church.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        you
        > > > will likely find in church records.
        > > >
        > > > CURRENT MAP
        > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
        the
        > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
        at
        > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
        > > >
        > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
        > > >
        > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
        excellent
        > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        Presov
        Olsavce
        Presov
        > > > Ukraine
        Sanok).
        > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
          wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
          > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
          be there? I
          > overlayed that message # in
          > http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it?
          Thanks, Tom

          YES . . .

          LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
          references refer to different religions. Most of these church
          records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

          TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
          translations.

          LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
          See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
          details.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
            wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
            > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
            be there?

            Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
            The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.

            LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
            deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
            Hungary.

            Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
            1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
            1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
            INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]

            LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
            Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7

            Those films will give you something to work on!

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

            Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
            along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
            village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
            Tap.nemetfalu.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
              Hancovce, Snina District
              According to SR Archives, these village records are stored in the following
              village files:
              Jewish - Humenne
              RC - Lubisa
              GC - Maskovce

              Hancovce, Bratislava District
              RC - Hancovce
              Jewish Kurima
              Evangelic- Marhan
              GC - Resov

              Bill

              wrote:

> [...]
              you
              > > > will likely find in church records.
              > > >
              > > > CURRENT MAP
              > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
              the
              > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
              at
              > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
              > > >
              > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
              > > >
              > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
              > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
              excellent
              > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

              Presov
              Olsavce
              Presov
              > > > Ukraine
              Sanok).
              > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Tom Potsko
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                Bill,

                You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
                question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
                another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                  My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Tom Potsko
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                    John,

                    Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
                    Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
                    nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

                    On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > John,
                    > >
                    > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                    > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                    > be there?
                    >
                    > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
                    > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
                    >
                    > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
                    > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
                    > Hungary.
                    >
                    > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
                    > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
                    > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
                    > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
                    >
                    > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                    > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
                    >
                    > Those films will give you something to work on!
                    >
                    > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                    > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                    > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
                    >
                    > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
                    > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
                    > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
                    > Tap.nemetfalu.
                    >
                    > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                    > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                    > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                    > will likely find in church records.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
                      records. Thanks Again, Tom

                      On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                      > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
                      >

                      > Bill

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                        wrote:
                        > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

                        You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                        tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
                        1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                        church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                        marriages.

                        When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                        religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                        village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                        two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

                        Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                        LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

                        > nationality and where you are from.

                        Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                        to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

                        Good luck and happy squinting.
                      • Tom Potsko
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                          John,

                          Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                          On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                          >
                          > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                          > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                          > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                          > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                          > marriages.
                          >
                          > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                          > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                          > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                          > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                          >
                          > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                          > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                          >
                          > > nationality and where you are from.
                          >
                          > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                          > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                          >
                          > Good luck and happy squinting.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                            John,

                            I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                              John,

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                                John,

                                I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                                miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                                grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                                family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                                go. Thanks, Tom
                                <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>