Re: [S-R] Re: Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
      Although I found the names Patsko or Pacho on LDS FamilySearch website, they
      are not on a microfilm. It was at a Family History center. I've made some
      visits to Bill Tarkulich's website and ShtelSeeker. *If I read your answer
      correctly, that Arsod, Hungary and Orsocz, Austria are other names for
      Olsavce, Slovakia or Czechoslovakia*, then I have three souces that agree on
      a village of birth, although I have a lot that say Olsavec, which I think is
      in Spis. Based upon what you've given me I can go to the other church record
      sites looking for Packo names in the Olsavce parish which I believe is in
      Hancovce. Thanks, Tom

      On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.
      >
      > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
      > CENTER (FHC)
      > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
      > village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
      > national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
      > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
      > name, go to the LDS web site:
      > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
      >
      > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
      > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
      > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      > research. Have you done this?
      >
      > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
      > translations.
      >
      > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message
      > #forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages for
      > details.
      >
      > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
      >
      > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
      > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
      > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
      > will likely find in church records.
      >
      > CURRENT MAP
      > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
      > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
      >
      > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
      >
      > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
      > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      > Ukraine
      > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
      > Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
        John,

        Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
        religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records be there? I
        overlayed that message # in
        http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it? Thanks, Tom

        On 1/2/06, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:

        > Although I found the names Patsko or Pacho on LDS FamilySearch website,
        > they are not on a microfilm. It was at a Family History center. I've made
        > some visits to Bill Tarkulich's website and ShtelSeeker. *If I read your
        > answer correctly, that Arsod, Hungary and Orsocz, Austria are other names
        > for Olsavce, Slovakia or Czechoslovakia *, then I have three souces that
        > agree on a village of birth, although I have a lot that say Olsavec, which I
        > think is in Spis. Based upon what you've given me I can go to the other
        > church record sites looking for Packo names in the Olsavce parish which I
        > believe is in Hancovce. Thanks, Tom
        >
        > On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.
        > >
        > > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
        > > CENTER (FHC)
        > > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
        > > village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
        > > national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
        > > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
        > > name, go to the LDS web site:
        > > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
        > >
        > > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
        > > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
        > > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        > > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        > > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        > > research. Have you done this?
        > >
        > > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        > > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
        > > translations.
        > >
        > > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        > > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message
        > > #forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages for
        > > details.
        > >
        > > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        > > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        > > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
        > >
        > > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
        > > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        > > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        > > will likely find in church records.
        > >
        > > CURRENT MAP
        > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
        > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
        > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
        > >
        > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
        > >
        > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        > > Ukraine
        > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
        > > Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
          Tom,
          Yes, there are separate records for the various churches in the
          1800s and late 1700s. Earlier records were kept by the Roman
          Catholic Church for all the various religions.

          Go to the 1877 Dvorzsák Gazetteer (see Bill Tarkulich's tool box for
          the link) and look up your ancestor's county and then their
          village. It will tell you where the specific records are for that
          religion for that town. It maybe a nearby town if they didn't have
          their own church.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          you
          > > > will likely find in church records.
          > > >
          > > > CURRENT MAP
          > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
          the
          > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
          at
          > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
          > > >
          > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
          > > >
          > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
          excellent
          > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          Presov
          Olsavce
          Presov
          > > > Ukraine
          Sanok).
          > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
            wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
            > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
            be there? I
            > overlayed that message # in
            > http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it?
            Thanks, Tom

            YES . . .

            LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
            references refer to different religions. Most of these church
            records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

            TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
            translations.

            LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
            See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
            details.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
              wrote:

              > John,
              >
              > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
              > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
              be there?

              Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
              The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.

              LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
              deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
              Hungary.

              Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
              1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
              1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
              INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]

              LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
              Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7

              Those films will give you something to work on!

              1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

              Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
              along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
              village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
              Tap.nemetfalu.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
                Hancovce, Snina District
                According to SR Archives, these village records are stored in the following
                village files:
                Jewish - Humenne
                RC - Lubisa
                GC - Maskovce

                Hancovce, Bratislava District
                RC - Hancovce
                Jewish Kurima
                Evangelic- Marhan
                GC - Resov

                Bill

                wrote:

> [...]
                you
                > > > will likely find in church records.
                > > >
                > > > CURRENT MAP
                > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
                the
                > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
                at
                > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
                > > >
                > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                > > >
                > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
                excellent
                > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                Presov
                Olsavce
                Presov
                > > > Ukraine
                Sanok).
                > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Bill,

                  You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
                  question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
                  another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                    My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                      John,

                      Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
                      Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
                      nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

                      On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > John,
                      > >
                      > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                      > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                      > be there?
                      >
                      > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
                      > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
                      >
                      > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
                      > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
                      > Hungary.
                      >
                      > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
                      > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
                      > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
                      > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
                      >
                      > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                      > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
                      >
                      > Those films will give you something to work on!
                      >
                      > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                      > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
                      >
                      > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
                      > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
                      > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
                      > Tap.nemetfalu.
                      >
                      > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                      > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                      > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                      > will likely find in church records.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Tom Potsko
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
                        records. Thanks Again, Tom

                        On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                        > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
                        >

                        > Bill

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                          wrote:
                          > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

                          You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                          tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
                          1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                          church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                          marriages.

                          When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                          religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                          village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                          two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

                          Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                          LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

                          > nationality and where you are from.

                          Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                          to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

                          Good luck and happy squinting.
                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                            John,

                            Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                            On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                            >
                            > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                            > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                            > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                            > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                            > marriages.
                            >
                            > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                            > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                            > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                            > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                            >
                            > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                            > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                            >
                            > > nationality and where you are from.
                            >
                            > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                            > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                            >
                            > Good luck and happy squinting.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                              John,

                              I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                                  John,

                                  I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                                  miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                                  grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                                  family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                                  go. Thanks, Tom
                                  <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>