Packa Handzo Heylek Surany Hrivnak Gasparik Query

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
      Slovak-Roots Moderator/Members,
      I am Tom Potsko from Hanover Township, PA. I have been
      researching genealogical roots of my family and my wife's family for
      a little over a year now. My search began on the LDS website where my
      great-grandparents John Patsko or Pacho b: abt 1850 and Eva Gasparick
      b:1855 d: 25 JUL 1929 listed as living in Zemplin, Hungary with
      between 6 and 10 children. I believe the correct Slovak or Austrian
      (and my family has always stated my great grand father and
      grandfather were Austrian) is Packa, this is the most prevalent
      spelling in Church records at St Matthew Evangelical Slovak Lutheran
      Church N. Main St. Wilkes-Barre, PA nad St John's Evangelical Slovak
      Lutheran Church, Nanticoke, where most of my great uncles and aunts
      and grandparents married, had their children baptized and were buried
      from. The most prevalent names of villages or counties of origin are
      Saris Olsavec or Saris, Olsavce, which, I believe are Slovak, not
      Austrian. In Ellis Island records, I have found eight of the ten
      great uncles and aunts, and the great grandmother, who, according to
      church records was from Porubka, and I assume the Porubka that is in
      Saris(there are 6 Porobka's in Slovakia, I believe). Their surnames
      show up as Packa, Paczko, Pagka, with place of origin as Orsocz,
      Austria and Arsod, Hungary and unknown. My grandmother Anna Handzo
      Patsko was born in Glen Lyon, Pa, but lived at least 16 years in Lada
      Czechoslovakia, also in Saris, I believe. Her father Andrew Handzo b:
      abt 1868 married Anna Benyo from Presov, Czechoslovakia. They also
      maintained a residence in Glen Lyon, PA, with Andrew making six or
      seven crossings. in the early 1900's, belonging to the above St,.
      John's Church in Nanticoke, Pa. I have a rootsweb freepages website:

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jaschr71

      where most of these documents gravesites and other documents can be
      found. My great Grandmother's name was probably spelled Gasparik. My
      wife's great grandfather was Joseph Heylek b: abt1859 from
      Bohemia/Austria, wife Barbara, b:abt 1869, her grandmother Mary
      Surany b:1890 d: 10 OCT 1968 was Slovak. My great aunt Anna Patsko
      (Packa) married a Michael Handzo b: 1874 d: 9 NOV 1918, my great
      aunt Eva Patsko(Packa) married John Hrivnak (Lukavica) b: 1884 d: 23
      DEC 1925. I probably went into too much detail, but I can't go back
      any further on any of these surnames without help in Slovakia.

      Also looking for a village called Kamianka, possibly Rumanivka,
      in the Sianik District(not sure what country) Yanoshak and
      Kulmaticky and Cirko families, all claiming to be Ukrainian or
      Ruthenian, lived there with my references found in Holy
      Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian(Byzantine) Catholic Church
      Hanover Section of Nanticoke, PA. Thanks, Tom
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
        What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.

        CENTER (FHC)
        village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
        national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
        To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
        name, go to the LDS web site:

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research. Have you done this?

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        will likely find in church records.

        CURRENT MAP

        ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        >>>Orsocz, Austria and Arsod, Hungary<<<< another name for Olsavce
        Ukraine
        A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
        Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.
      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
          Although I found the names Patsko or Pacho on LDS FamilySearch website, they
          are not on a microfilm. It was at a Family History center. I've made some
          visits to Bill Tarkulich's website and ShtelSeeker. *If I read your answer
          correctly, that Arsod, Hungary and Orsocz, Austria are other names for
          Olsavce, Slovakia or Czechoslovakia*, then I have three souces that agree on
          a village of birth, although I have a lot that say Olsavec, which I think is
          in Spis. Based upon what you've given me I can go to the other church record
          sites looking for Packo names in the Olsavce parish which I believe is in
          Hancovce. Thanks, Tom

          On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.
          >
          > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
          > CENTER (FHC)
          > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
          > village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
          > national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
          > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
          > name, go to the LDS web site:
          > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          >
          > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
          > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
          > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
          > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
          > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
          > research. Have you done this?
          >
          > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
          > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
          > translations.
          >
          > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
          > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message
          > #forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages for
          > details.
          >
          > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
          >
          > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
          > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
          > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
          > will likely find in church records.
          >
          > CURRENT MAP
          > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
          > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
          >
          > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
          >
          > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
          > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          > Ukraine
          > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
          > Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
            John,

            Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
            religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records be there? I
            overlayed that message # in
            http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it? Thanks, Tom

            On 1/2/06, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:

            > Although I found the names Patsko or Pacho on LDS FamilySearch website,
            > they are not on a microfilm. It was at a Family History center. I've made
            > some visits to Bill Tarkulich's website and ShtelSeeker. *If I read your
            > answer correctly, that Arsod, Hungary and Orsocz, Austria are other names
            > for Olsavce, Slovakia or Czechoslovakia *, then I have three souces that
            > agree on a village of birth, although I have a lot that say Olsavec, which I
            > think is in Spis. Based upon what you've given me I can go to the other
            > church record sites looking for Packo names in the Olsavce parish which I
            > believe is in Hancovce. Thanks, Tom
            >
            > On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What is the QUESTION? The following is a generic answer.
            > >
            > > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
            > > CENTER (FHC)
            > > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
            > > village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a
            > > national basis. It is also necessary to know the >>>>religion<<<<.
            > > To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town
            > > name, go to the LDS web site:
            > > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
            > >
            > > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
            > > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History
            > > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
            > > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
            > > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
            > > research. Have you done this?
            > >
            > > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
            > > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
            > > translations.
            > >
            > > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
            > > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message
            > > #forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages for
            > > details.
            > >
            > > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            > > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            > > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
            > >
            > > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
            > > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
            > > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
            > > will likely find in church records.
            > >
            > > CURRENT MAP
            > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
            > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
            > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
            > >
            > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
            > >
            > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
            > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
            > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

            > > Ukraine
            > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center in
            > > Subcarpathia voivodeship, Poland.

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Carl Kotlarchik
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
              Tom,
              Yes, there are separate records for the various churches in the
              1800s and late 1700s. Earlier records were kept by the Roman
              Catholic Church for all the various religions.

              Go to the 1877 Dvorzsák Gazetteer (see Bill Tarkulich's tool box for
              the link) and look up your ancestor's county and then their
              village. It will tell you where the specific records are for that
              religion for that town. It maybe a nearby town if they didn't have
              their own church.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              you
              > > > will likely find in church records.
              > > >
              > > > CURRENT MAP
              > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
              the
              > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
              at
              > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
              > > >
              > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
              > > >
              > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
              > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
              excellent
              > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

              Presov
              Olsavce
              Presov
              > > > Ukraine
              Sanok).
              > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
                wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                be there? I
                > overlayed that message # in
                > http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages, what was it?
                Thanks, Tom

                YES . . .

                LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
                references refer to different religions. Most of these church
                records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > John,
                  >
                  > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                  > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                  be there?

                  Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
                  The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.

                  LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
                  deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-Németfalu, Sáros,
                  Hungary.

                  Krstení 1785-1843 Sobášení 1785-1843 Zomrelí 1785-1843 Birmovaní
                  1840-1886 DRUHOPISÍ Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1862-63, 1869 Krstení
                  1876-1895 Sobášení 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrelí 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
                  INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]

                  LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                  Orsócz (Olšavce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7

                  Those films will give you something to work on!

                  1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                  The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                  http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

                  Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
                  along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
                  village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
                  Tap.nemetfalu.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Hancovce, Snina District
                    According to SR Archives, these village records are stored in the following
                    village files:
                    Jewish - Humenne
                    RC - Lubisa
                    GC - Maskovce

                    Hancovce, Bratislava District
                    RC - Hancovce
                    Jewish Kurima
                    Evangelic- Marhan
                    GC - Resov

                    Bill

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    you
                    > > > will likely find in church records.
                    > > >
                    > > > CURRENT MAP
                    > > > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of
                    the
                    > > > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found
                    at
                    > > > http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm
                    > > >
                    > > > ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                    > > >
                    > > > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                    > > > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
                    excellent
                    > > > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                    Presov
                    Olsavce
                    Presov
                    > > > Ukraine
                    Sanok).
                    > > > A city (1998 pop 41,600) on the Sian River and a county center

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Bill,

                      You are very helpful, Thank you for the village names, and 1 more
                      question I found Hankovce as a Roman Catholicon the LDS site, this is just
                      another spelling of Hancovce, isn't it? Thanks Again, Tom

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                        My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Tom Potsko
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                          John,

                          Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at, thanks to you and
                          Slovak-Roots. I had no Idea how helpful people could be. May I ask what
                          nationality and where you are from. If not, Thanks So Much, Tom

                          On 1/2/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > John,
                          > >
                          > > Are there separate parish records for Catholic/Lutheran/other
                          > > religions? Hankovce shows up as Catholic, would Lutheran records
                          > be there?
                          >
                          > Surrounding villages are showing RC church records, as you suggest.
                          > The nearest I could find with Lutheran would be Nemcovce, 5 km east.
                          >
                          > LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of births, marriages and
                          > deaths for Nemcovce, Slovakia, formerly Kapi-N�metfalu, S�ros,
                          > Hungary.
                          >
                          > Krsten� 1785-1843 Sob��en� 1785-1843 Zomrel� 1785-1843 Birmovan�
                          > 1840-1886 DRUHOPIS� Krsten�, sob��en�, zomrel� 1862-63, 1869 Krsten�
                          > 1876-1895 Sob��en� 1876, 1878-1895 Zomrel� 1876, 1878-1895 - FHL
                          > INTL Film [ 1792925 Items 2-3 ]
                          >
                          > LDS also has the VERY informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
                          > Ors�cz (Ol�avce) FHL Film #2190014 Item 7
                          >
                          > Those films will give you something to work on!
                          >
                          > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                          > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
                          >
                          > Locate Bartfa = Bardejov at map center. Go southeast four villages
                          > along the narrow road to the yellow area and find Orsos. That's your
                          > village. The Evangelical church is two villages east at
                          > Tap.nemetfalu.
                          >
                          > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program.
                          > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                          > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                          > will likely find in church records.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                            Bill, I was the one who spelled it with the 'c', found it htat way in church
                            records. Thanks Again, Tom

                            On 1/3/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                            > My error entirely, I misspelled the village name. HANKOVCE is correct.
                            >

                            > Bill

                          • johnqadam
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                              wrote:
                              > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .

                              You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                              tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Olšavce in
                              1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                              church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                              marriages.

                              When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                              religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                              village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                              two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.

                              Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                              LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.

                              > nationality and where you are from.

                              Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                              to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.

                              Good luck and happy squinting.
                            • Tom Potsko
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                                John,

                                Thanks Again my Slovak Canadian friend. Tom

                                On 1/3/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@g...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Looks like I have a lot of LDS microfilm to look at . . .
                                >
                                > You currently have TWO films to start with. The census film will
                                > tell you a lot about everyone who lived in the village of Ol�avce in
                                > 1869. It serves as a snaphot in time. The Nemcovce Evangelical
                                > church record will give you a hundred years of births, deaths and
                                > marriages.
                                >
                                > When researching the films, be sure to note the villgae name and
                                > religion of the person. A marriage record may lead you to another
                                > village, perhaps another religion, and so on. Every ANSWER yields
                                > two more QUESTIONS and the process is never-ending.
                                >
                                > Of course, you need computer software in order to keep your sanity.
                                > LDS provides their program for free. I use Family Tree Maker.
                                >
                                > > nationality and where you are from.
                                >
                                > Canadian, from Toronto, eh! My genealogy research has taken me back
                                > to Slovakia 5X and I look forward to additional future trips.
                                >
                                > Good luck and happy squinting.

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Tom
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                                  John,

                                  I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5 miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her family. I'm learning Hungaurian and Slovak village names and locations as I go. Thanks, Tom

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 12, 2006
                                      John,

                                      I think you meant for me to go to tapli-nemetfalu, a different Nemcovce 5
                                      miles east of Olsavce. kapi-nemetfalu is Nemcovce east of Lada, but my
                                      grandmother is from Lada, so when I get the film I may find her and her
                                      family. I'm learning Hungarian and Slovak village names and locations as I
                                      go. Thanks, Tom
                                      <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7347/hlett2.html>