Re: Slovak Culture

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Carl,

      As you gain information on the meanings of the words, I suggest you
      associate each meaning with a time and region, as words and meanings
      do change with time and place. Look at our own history within the
      US and you will see that. Part of the time, the Hungarians had a
      very active Diet (legislature) and they were constantly tinkering
      with social experiments. I am skeptical that one word would hold
      one precise meaning over a century or two without hidden changes in
      status of that individual or class of people, and the same word in
      Upper Hungary could have a different variation of the meaning in
      Transylvania at the same time.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"