Slovak Culture

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Yes, I have read the Grisak Family History and agree that it is a
      very good book. I have also ordered several other books that have
      been recommended but I was hoping that we could discuss things in
      this forum that you don't necessarily find in the literature. It
      seems like the more I read, the more questions I have.

      For example, how common was it for Slovaks and Magyars to marry? I
      had the impression it was not that common but I am finding it
      frequently in my family records. This would suggest to me, that
      over time, the Slovak population would have been assimilated into
      Hungarian population. But that did not happen. So, was there much
      tension between the two groups?

      I asked my earlier question about the status differences between the
      different terms for farmer because I find most of them used in my
      family records. Oddly, one clan in my family were only herdsmen,
      of every kind, for many generations. Then suddenly one marries
      someone from a family listed as a colonus in one record and jobbagy
      in another. From what I have read, herdsmen did not participate
      much in the activities of the village. So, was it unusual for one
      of them to marry someone who owned property? This individual had
      been in the army but he is the only member of his family clan that
      did not become a pasztor. But he also moved away from the town
      where his wife was raised. So how and why did he change
      occupations?

      Anyway, this is what I find interesting about researching the family
      history. It is not just collecting dates and names. I enjoy trying
      to understand the time period and the culture. I'm trying to find
      others with a similar interest so we can share and learn from each
      other. Most of the questions in this forum pertain to "how do I
      find something" which is important and I ask these questions too.
      But I would also like to discuss things that make a story about
      people's lives. At some point, all of us should write up what we
      have learned from our family research. This should not be just
      dates and facts but a personal history of one's family and the
      influences that shaped their lives.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
      wrote:

      > There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
      > experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950,
      born
      > in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth
      describing
      > day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
      > It has been recently scanned and is available at
      >
      > http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
      > Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
      > Acrobat reader.
      > Thanks to Larry Krupnak for bringing it to my attention.
      >
      > Here is Bill Trakulich's message 3944.1 from the Delphi site.
      >
      > There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
      > experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950,
      born
      > in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth
      describing
      > day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
      > It has been recently scanned and is available at
      >
      > http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
      > Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
      > Acrobat reader.
      >
      > >>From the Library of Congress on-line catalog:
      > >
      > > Title: The Grisak family
      > > Authors: Grisak, Michael J. , 1910- (Main Author) *
      > >LC Control Number: 79103327
      > > Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
      > > Personal Name: Grisak, Michael J.
      > > Main Title: The Grisak family / compiled by Michael J. Grisak.
      > >Published/Created: [Merrillville, Ind.] : Grisak, [1978-1979]
      > > Notes: Cover title.
      > > Subjects: Grisak, Michael J.
      > > Grisak family.
      > > Czechoslovakia--Biography.
      > > United States--Biography.
      > >LC Classification: CT948.G74 A34
      > > Dewey Class No.: 943.7/03/0922 B
      > > Geog. Area Code: e-cs--- n-us---

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        Carl,

        As you gain information on the meanings of the words, I suggest you
        associate each meaning with a time and region, as words and meanings
        do change with time and place. Look at our own history within the
        US and you will see that. Part of the time, the Hungarians had a
        very active Diet (legislature) and they were constantly tinkering
        with social experiments. I am skeptical that one word would hold
        one precise meaning over a century or two without hidden changes in
        status of that individual or class of people, and the same word in
        Upper Hungary could have a different variation of the meaning in
        Transylvania at the same time.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"