Re: [S-R] Re: "rolnik" or possibly "roluik"

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      Don't you all find this word in church records used in the same sense as
      sedlak? That is, a small owner rather than a renter. The man who in
      Hungarian would be a telkes-gazda, leaving out the diacrits.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
        Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
        mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
        child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he lived
        the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to L.A.,
        CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
        reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.

        MARIANNE

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>

        http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

        email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
          First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
          matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
          three letters ROU either.

          In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
          roven you see no ROU at all.

          I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
          ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
          Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.

          Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
          English-Slovak by him in Slovakia

          Vladi

          At 07:16 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
          >Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
          >mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
          >child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he lived
          >the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to L.A.,
          >CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
          >reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.
          >
          >MARIANNE

          Vladimir Linder

          I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
          Village Photography in Slovakia.

          More information on:
          Genealogical research:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
          Ancestral Village Videos:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
          Ancestral Village Photography:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
          History of any village or town in Slovakia:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

          Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

          Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
          starts MARCH 2006
          To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
          My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

          Email: vlinder49@...

          Contact me for more details

          Vladimir Linder
          3804 Yale Street
          Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
          Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
        • Vladimir Linder
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
            Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
            rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman

            Vladi

          • Marianne Petruska
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
              The word I remember sounded something like "rolnik" -- more
              like "roylnyik". Hard to spell it in English (now if I could type
              Cyrillic on here I might be able to make it come out more like it
              sounded!).

              Could my MGF (maternal grandfather) have been referring to his
              vegetable garden as a small farm? Besides my mother there was only
              one person in my MGF's L.A. neighborhood who understood any of the
              non-English languages my MGF spoke (Slovak, Hungarian & I don't have
              a clue what the other was, possibly Russian) & I only remember that
              term associated with him showing off his garden & some huge squash
              he'd grown.

              Yes, I know that seems strange to associate a certain word with
              something like a vegetable -- I thought my MGF was referring to the
              squash or where it was in the yard/garden! (At the time I was only
              about 5!)

              MARIANNE

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@s...>
              wrote:

              > Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
              > rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman
              >
              > Vladi
              >

              > At 07:30 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
              > >First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
              > >matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
              > >three letters ROU either.
              > >
              > >In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
              > >roven you see no ROU at all.
              > >

              > >I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
              > >ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
              > >Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.
              > >
              > >Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
              > >English-Slovak by him in Slovakia
              > >

              > >Vladi
              > >

              > >At 07:16 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
              > > >Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
              > > >mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
              > > >child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he
              lived
              > > >the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to
              L.A.,
              > > >CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
              > > >reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.
              > > >
              > > >MARIANNE
              > >
              > >Vladimir Linder
              > >
              > >I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
              > >Village Photography in Slovakia.
              > >

              > >More information on:
              > >Genealogical research:
              >
              ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_researc
              h.htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_res
              earch.htm
              > >Ancestral Village Videos:
              >
              ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm>h
              ttp://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
              > >Ancestral Village Photography:
              >
              ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.
              htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photograph
              y.htm
              > >History of any village or town in Slovakia:
              >
              ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm>http://ww
              w.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

              > >Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page
              > >
              > >Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography
              trip
              > >starts MARCH 2006
              > >To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@h...
              > >My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291
              > >
              > >Email: vlinder49@s...
              > >
              > >Contact me for more details
              > >
              > >Vladimir Linder
              > >3804 Yale Street
              > >Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
              > >Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
              > >

              > >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
              > ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-
              ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

              t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+fami
              ly+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tr
              ee&c=5&s=127&.sig=xntgx6A0Rcg_VUSBl75now>Genealogy
              > >research
              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+ph
              one+family+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+f
              amily+tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=Sswj6jikI3GyAwN14MTVYw>Cellular
              > >phone family plan
              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
              +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
              &c=5&s=127&.sig=-i-j__amF_XiBBzdm0UFHg>Family
              > >genealogy
              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Family+vacations&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
              +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
              &c=5&s=127&.sig=HQILCZUrY4Gx9vcx3YI4Rw>Family
              > >vacations
              > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+f
              amily+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family
              +tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=UW_mMLsFwcJFgSXIzYoW3Q>Genealogy
              > >family tree

              > > *
              > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
              > >
              > > *

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                Often they converted the field ROLA to vegetable garden. Like back
                yard in USA they call back yard behind the house rola. And yes they
                grow vegies there now as well.

                Vladi