Re: "rolnik" or possibly "roluik"

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      Thanks very much for translating this word but what language is
      this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin dictionaries
      and not found this term.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
      <JArmata@g...> wrote:

      > This means a farmer (rolnik).
      >
      > Joe

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        Rolnik is SLOVAK it is a farmer

        V;ladi

        At 04:15 PM 1/1/2006, you wrote:

        >Thanks very much for translating this word but what language is
        >this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin dictionaries
        >and not found this term.
        >

        >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
        ><JArmata@g...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This means a farmer (rolnik).
        > >
        > > Joe

        Vladimir Linder

        I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
        Village Photography in Slovakia.

        More information on:
        Genealogical research:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
        Ancestral Village Videos:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
        Ancestral Village Photography:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
        History of any village or town in Slovakia:
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

        Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

        Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
        starts MARCH 2006
        To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
        My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

        Email: vlinder49@...

        Contact me for more details

        Vladimir Linder
        3804 Yale Street
        Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
        Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
      • Alan Antoska
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
          Today, a slovak word meaning farmer.
          Origin probably from latin 'rola' meaning field.
          Hence, field worker, but common usuage as 'farmer'

          --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

          > Thanks very much for translating this word but what
          > language is
          > this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin
          > dictionaries
          > and not found this term.
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
          > (JArmata)"
          > <JArmata@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This means a farmer (rolnik).
          > >
          > > Joe

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
            Don't you all find this word in church records used in the same sense as
            sedlak? That is, a small owner rather than a renter. The man who in
            Hungarian would be a telkes-gazda, leaving out the diacrits.

            > Origin probably from latin 'rola' meaning field.
            > Hence, field worker, but common usuage as 'farmer'
            >
            > --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Thanks very much for translating this word but what
            >> language is
            >> this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin
            >> dictionaries
            >> and not found this term.
            >>

            >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
            >> (JArmata)"
            >> <JArmata@g...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > This means a farmer (rolnik).
            >> >
            >> > Joe

          • Marianne Petruska
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
              Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
              mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
              child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he lived
              the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to L.A.,
              CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
              reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.

              MARIANNE

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
              wrote:

              > Don't you all find this word in church records used in the same
              sense as
              > sedlak? That is, a small owner rather than a renter. The man who
              in
              > Hungarian would be a telkes-gazda, leaving out the diacrits.

            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
                matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
                three letters ROU either.

                In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
                roven you see no ROU at all.

                I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
                ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
                Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.

                Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
                English-Slovak by him in Slovakia

                Vladi

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
                  rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman

                  Vladi

                • Marianne Petruska
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                    The word I remember sounded something like "rolnik" -- more
                    like "roylnyik". Hard to spell it in English (now if I could type
                    Cyrillic on here I might be able to make it come out more like it
                    sounded!).

                    Could my MGF (maternal grandfather) have been referring to his
                    vegetable garden as a small farm? Besides my mother there was only
                    one person in my MGF's L.A. neighborhood who understood any of the
                    non-English languages my MGF spoke (Slovak, Hungarian & I don't have
                    a clue what the other was, possibly Russian) & I only remember that
                    term associated with him showing off his garden & some huge squash
                    he'd grown.

                    Yes, I know that seems strange to associate a certain word with
                    something like a vegetable -- I thought my MGF was referring to the
                    squash or where it was in the yard/garden! (At the time I was only
                    about 5!)

                    MARIANNE

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@s...>
                    wrote:

                    > Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
                    > rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman
                    >
                    > Vladi
                    >

                    > At 07:30 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
                    > >First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
                    > >matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
                    > >three letters ROU either.
                    > >
                    > >In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
                    > >roven you see no ROU at all.
                    > >

                    > >I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
                    > >ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
                    > >Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.
                    > >
                    > >Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
                    > >English-Slovak by him in Slovakia
                    > >

                    > >Vladi
                    > >

                    > >At 07:16 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
                    > > >Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
                    > > >mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
                    > > >child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he
                    lived
                    > > >the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to
                    L.A.,
                    > > >CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
                    > > >reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.
                    > > >
                    > > >MARIANNE
                    > >
                    > >Vladimir Linder
                    > >
                    > >I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
                    > >Village Photography in Slovakia.
                    > >

                    > >More information on:
                    > >Genealogical research:
                    >
                    ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_researc
                    h.htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_res
                    earch.htm
                    > >Ancestral Village Videos:
                    >
                    ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm>h
                    ttp://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
                    > >Ancestral Village Photography:
                    >
                    ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.
                    htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photograph
                    y.htm
                    > >History of any village or town in Slovakia:
                    >
                    ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm>http://ww
                    w.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

                    > >Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page
                    > >
                    > >Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography
                    trip
                    > >starts MARCH 2006
                    > >To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@h...
                    > >My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291
                    > >
                    > >Email: vlinder49@s...
                    > >
                    > >Contact me for more details
                    > >
                    > >Vladimir Linder
                    > >3804 Yale Street
                    > >Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
                    > >Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
                    > >

                    > >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                    > ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-
                    ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

                    t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+fami
                    ly+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tr
                    ee&c=5&s=127&.sig=xntgx6A0Rcg_VUSBl75now>Genealogy
                    > >research
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+ph
                    one+family+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+f
                    amily+tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=Sswj6jikI3GyAwN14MTVYw>Cellular
                    > >phone family plan
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
                    +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
                    &c=5&s=127&.sig=-i-j__amF_XiBBzdm0UFHg>Family
                    > >genealogy
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Family+vacations&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
                    +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
                    &c=5&s=127&.sig=HQILCZUrY4Gx9vcx3YI4Rw>Family
                    > >vacations
                    > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+f
                    amily+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family
                    +tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=UW_mMLsFwcJFgSXIzYoW3Q>Genealogy
                    > >family tree

                    > > *
                    > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
                    > >
                    > > *

                  • Vladimir Linder
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                      Often they converted the field ROLA to vegetable garden. Like back
                      yard in USA they call back yard behind the house rola. And yes they
                      grow vegies there now as well.

                      Vladi