Re: [S-R] "rolnik" or possibly "roluik"

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      This means a farmer (rolnik).

      Joe

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:05 PM
      Subject: [S-R] "rolnik" or possibly "roluik"

      >I received an inquiry from someone looking at the Snina RC church register.
      > They found an occupation is listed as
      >
      > "rolnik" or possibly "roluik".
      >
      > Do you know what word they might possibly be referring to?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Bill

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
        Thanks very much for translating this word but what language is
        this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin dictionaries
        and not found this term.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
        <JArmata@g...> wrote:

        > This means a farmer (rolnik).
        >
        > Joe

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
          Rolnik is SLOVAK it is a farmer

          V;ladi

          At 04:15 PM 1/1/2006, you wrote:

          >Thanks very much for translating this word but what language is
          >this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin dictionaries
          >and not found this term.
          >

          >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"
          ><JArmata@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This means a farmer (rolnik).
          > >
          > > Joe

          Vladimir Linder

          I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
          Village Photography in Slovakia.

          More information on:
          Genealogical research:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_research.htm
          Ancestral Village Videos:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
          Ancestral Village Photography:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.htm
          History of any village or town in Slovakia:
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

          Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page

          Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography trip
          starts MARCH 2006
          To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@...
          My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291

          Email: vlinder49@...

          Contact me for more details

          Vladimir Linder
          3804 Yale Street
          Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
          Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
        • Alan Antoska
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
            Today, a slovak word meaning farmer.
            Origin probably from latin 'rola' meaning field.
            Hence, field worker, but common usuage as 'farmer'

            --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

            > Thanks very much for translating this word but what
            > language is
            > this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin
            > dictionaries
            > and not found this term.
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
            > (JArmata)"
            > <JArmata@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This means a farmer (rolnik).
            > >
            > > Joe

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
              Don't you all find this word in church records used in the same sense as
              sedlak? That is, a small owner rather than a renter. The man who in
              Hungarian would be a telkes-gazda, leaving out the diacrits.

              > Origin probably from latin 'rola' meaning field.
              > Hence, field worker, but common usuage as 'farmer'
              >
              > --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Thanks very much for translating this word but what
              >> language is
              >> this? I have checked my Hungarian, Slovak and Latin
              >> dictionaries
              >> and not found this term.
              >>

              >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
              >> (JArmata)"
              >> <JArmata@g...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > This means a farmer (rolnik).
              >> >
              >> > Joe

            • Marianne Petruska
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
                mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
                child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he lived
                the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to L.A.,
                CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
                reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.

                MARIANNE

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...>
                wrote:

                > Don't you all find this word in church records used in the same
                sense as
                > sedlak? That is, a small owner rather than a renter. The man who
                in
                > Hungarian would be a telkes-gazda, leaving out the diacrits.

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                  First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
                  matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
                  three letters ROU either.

                  In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
                  roven you see no ROU at all.

                  I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
                  ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
                  Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.

                  Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
                  English-Slovak by him in Slovakia

                  Vladi

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
                    rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman

                    Vladi

                  • Marianne Petruska
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                      The word I remember sounded something like "rolnik" -- more
                      like "roylnyik". Hard to spell it in English (now if I could type
                      Cyrillic on here I might be able to make it come out more like it
                      sounded!).

                      Could my MGF (maternal grandfather) have been referring to his
                      vegetable garden as a small farm? Besides my mother there was only
                      one person in my MGF's L.A. neighborhood who understood any of the
                      non-English languages my MGF spoke (Slovak, Hungarian & I don't have
                      a clue what the other was, possibly Russian) & I only remember that
                      term associated with him showing off his garden & some huge squash
                      he'd grown.

                      Yes, I know that seems strange to associate a certain word with
                      something like a vegetable -- I thought my MGF was referring to the
                      squash or where it was in the yard/garden! (At the time I was only
                      about 5!)

                      MARIANNE

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@s...>
                      wrote:

                      > Actually it goes like this: rola, rolada, rolak, roleta, rolnicky,
                      > rolnictvo, rolnicit, rolnik, rolovany, rolovat, Rom, roman
                      >
                      > Vladi
                      >

                      > At 07:30 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
                      > >First of all there is no ROLUIK in Slovak language at all. As a
                      > >matter of fact there is no word in Slovak language which has first
                      > >three letters ROU either.
                      > >
                      > >In the dictionary it goes: rotmajster, rotor, rotunda, rov, rovas,
                      > >roven you see no ROU at all.
                      > >

                      > >I said before and say it again rolnik is NOT a gardener that is
                      > >ZAHRADNIK . Rolnik is a working Farmer according to Alibreto
                      > >Caforio Slovensky Slovnik, THE BEST.
                      > >
                      > >Yes and it is sold out even in Slovakia. You can still get some
                      > >English-Slovak by him in Slovakia
                      > >

                      > >Vladi
                      > >

                      > >At 07:16 PM 1/3/2006, you wrote:
                      > > >Someone else suggested "field worker". Could the term
                      > > >mean "gardner"? It sounds similar to something I'd heard as a
                      > > >child. My MGF had a garden wherever he lived (incl. when he
                      lived
                      > > >the coal mining areas of southwestern PA & after he moved to
                      L.A.,
                      > > >CA) and I seem to recall that word (or something like it) in
                      > > >reference to either him tending a garden OR the garden itself.
                      > > >
                      > > >MARIANNE
                      > >
                      > >Vladimir Linder
                      > >
                      > >I do Genealogical research, Ancestral Village Videos and Ancestral
                      > >Village Photography in Slovakia.
                      > >

                      > >More information on:
                      > >Genealogical research:
                      >
                      ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_researc
                      h.htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Genrsrch/genealogical_res
                      earch.htm
                      > >Ancestral Village Videos:
                      >
                      ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm>h
                      ttp://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_videos.htm
                      > >Ancestral Village Photography:
                      >
                      ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photography.
                      htm>http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Videos/ancestral_photograph
                      y.htm
                      > >History of any village or town in Slovakia:
                      >
                      ><http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm>http://ww
                      w.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/histtrans.htm

                      > >Slovak-English and English Slovak Translations US$45.00 per page
                      > >
                      > >Next genealogical and ancestral village videos and photography
                      trip
                      > >starts MARCH 2006
                      > >To reach me in Slovakia please email me at: vlinder49@h...
                      > >My cell in Slovakia is: 011-421-918-075-291
                      > >
                      > >Email: vlinder49@s...
                      > >
                      > >Contact me for more details
                      > >
                      > >Vladimir Linder
                      > >3804 Yale Street
                      > >Burnaby, BC, V5C 1P6, CANADA
                      > >Phone/Fax: 1-604-291-8065, Cell: 1-604-889-4616
                      > >

                      > >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                      > ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-
                      ROOTS>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

                      t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+fami
                      ly+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tr
                      ee&c=5&s=127&.sig=xntgx6A0Rcg_VUSBl75now>Genealogy
                      > >research
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Cellular+phone+family+plan&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+ph
                      one+family+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+f
                      amily+tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=Sswj6jikI3GyAwN14MTVYw>Cellular
                      > >phone family plan
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
                      +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
                      &c=5&s=127&.sig=-i-j__amF_XiBBzdm0UFHg>Family
                      > >genealogy
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Family+vacations&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+family
                      +plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family+tree
                      &c=5&s=127&.sig=HQILCZUrY4Gx9vcx3YI4Rw>Family
                      > >vacations
                      > ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=Genealogy+research&w2=Cellular+phone+f
                      amily+plan&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Family+vacations&w5=Genealogy+family
                      +tree&c=5&s=127&.sig=UW_mMLsFwcJFgSXIzYoW3Q>Genealogy
                      > >family tree

                      > > *
                      > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
                      > >
                      > > *

                    • Vladimir Linder
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                        Often they converted the field ROLA to vegetable garden. Like back
                        yard in USA they call back yard behind the house rola. And yes they
                        grow vegies there now as well.

                        Vladi