Re: [S-R] Szfarona, Zemplen County, Hungary????

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      Is the certificate from Sts. Peter & Paul Greek Catholic Church of Braddock?

      If so, you are probably dealing with Rusyns rather than Slovaks. There was a Rusyn-inhabited village called Starina (could be the SzTarona on the certificate) in old Zemplen County and there were families named Andrejko who lived in that village.

      There were seven Rusyn villages in that part of northeastern Slovakia (near Snina) - Ruské, Smolnik, Velká Polana, Starina, Ostruznica, Dara, and Zvala - that were depopulated in 1981 due to the construction of a dam on the Cirocha River.

      Bill Tarkulich's roots are in that area so he might be able to offer additional information.

      About Rusyns (or Carpatho-Rusyns), see www.c-rs.org, www.carpatho-rusyn.org, etc.

      Rich Custer

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        On 1/1/06, Richard D. Custer <rcuster@...> wrote:

        > Is the certificate from Sts. Peter & Paul Greek Catholic Church of
        > Braddock?
        >
        > I'm not sure. A relative passed a copy on to my mother a few years ago.
        It just might be. It doesn't say though...at least not that I can tell. It
        is in Latin and under religio it has written graec. cath. beside both of
        their names.

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
          Dear Kristine,
          This is a very wrong reading and there is no such or similar village in Zemplin. Can you make this document available for us to see and do our own reading?
          I checked the whole map of Zemplin for you and nothing comes close.
          Vladimir

          I have a marriage license of my great grandfather to his second wife in 1900
          Braddock, Alleghany County, PA. It is somewhat hard to read. I had someone
          who kindly helped me out and said he said it reads that my great grandfather
          (Michael Andryko) was born in the village of Szfarona, Zemplen County,
          Hungary.

          My question is...I did a google search and looked through some Hungarian and
          Slovaks sites and have not come across that village name...Szfarona. I know
          the name could have changed in spelling or maybe it just does not exist
          anymore? Is anyone familiar with this village name?

          Thank you!

          Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Kristine
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
            I sure can...but am I able to send an attached document to the list or
            should I send it off list?

            On 1/2/06, Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:

            > Dear Kristine,
            > This is a very wrong reading and there is no such or similar village in
            > Zemplin. Can you make this document available for us to see and do our own
            > reading?
            > I checked the whole map of Zemplin for you and nothing comes close.
            > Vladimir

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
              I think, Slovak Roots on Yahoo have the possibility to load photos under Files or something like that. Go to the Yahoo site of this group and you will find that.
              Vladimir
              I have not been using this for some time, but others did.

              http://www.eset.sk