Re: [S-R] Help With Meaning

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      - The first time you arrive in the country with the intention of staying
      permanently, you are "immigrating".
      - If you are not a citizen, you are an "alien", illegal or legal.
      - A legal alien is one whom the government has "admitted", either
      temporarily (visa) or permanently.
      - A "resident alien" is someone who has been permanently admitted to the
      US, who declares his permanent domicile as the US.

      Once a person has become a citizen, either by birth or naturalization, the
      manifest would have been marked "USC", which means "U. S. Citizen"

      So, a Non-Immigrant Alien is someone who was admitted previously to the
      country and allowed to stay permanently. It means they are not subject to
      immigration processing (quotas, inspections, etc.)

      Sorry, this isn't going to be a clue for you, it's what you already know...

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
        Thank you, Bill. I had never heard of that phrase before.

        Ann

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com

        Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree