Help With Meaning

  • Ann Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
      HI,

      I recently (last night) finally found some information on my one great grandfather that I've been trying to find. Name of Balantine Domanic showing up as Balint on Ellis Island site, however I am confused by a comment written near the final destination column. There is a note that says Non Immigrant Alien. Does anyone know what this means??? I have never heard of it. I know it says he is returning to this country from a visit back to Slovakia. Any input on this could be of help. I am trying to understand why he stayed lving in this country with my grandmother, while my great grandmother returned to live in Slovakia with my grandmother's brother. And this may be a clue of some sort. Thanks.

      Ann

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
        - The first time you arrive in the country with the intention of staying
        permanently, you are "immigrating".
        - If you are not a citizen, you are an "alien", illegal or legal.
        - A legal alien is one whom the government has "admitted", either
        temporarily (visa) or permanently.
        - A "resident alien" is someone who has been permanently admitted to the
        US, who declares his permanent domicile as the US.

        Once a person has become a citizen, either by birth or naturalization, the
        manifest would have been marked "USC", which means "U. S. Citizen"

        So, a Non-Immigrant Alien is someone who was admitted previously to the
        country and allowed to stay permanently. It means they are not subject to
        immigration processing (quotas, inspections, etc.)

        Sorry, this isn't going to be a clue for you, it's what you already know...

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
          Thank you, Bill. I had never heard of that phrase before.

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree