RE: [S-R] 1930 Chicago census or city directory

  • x
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
      I cannot speak of course for all public libraries but here in Columbus, many records including Ancestry.com are available but not thru your home computer. Apparently the public libraries can subscribe on a state wide basis. For most home genealogists, Ancestry.com is simply much too expensive. You can also obtain genealogy programs etc. Public libraries are usually most helpful.

      Bud Whisler

      Ancestry.com has the 1930 federal census online. As you know, ancestry.com
      is a fee based service. However, there are always researchers who have paid
      the bill who are willing to do limited, reasonable lookups for others
      (including myself.) I'm not from or familiar with the Chicago area in terms
      of research, but can at least provide you copies of the documents.
      Good Luck,
      Bill

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
        Joe,
        Chicago's NEWBERRY LIBRARY - Genealogy section at 60 W. Walton Street
        1-312-255-3510, WWW.NEWBERRY.ORG closed SUN & Monday 9am-5pm Tue -Sat.
        They will have everything you want. Maps, all city directories, and
        wonderful helpers. It is also free. Contact me off line if you need more
        details.
        Simon R. Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
          In 1930 there was a John Mrencro (1878) with wife Mary and children Helen,
          Julius, Theodore and Earnest living at 710 W 118th St in Chicago. John and
          Mary are listed as from Czechoslovakia.

          I suggest including vowels in your search which will help approximate the
          way the name was said.

          Jim Crownover-
          CA
        • richard thomas

            Is there anyone that can give directions to finding someone in Chicago
            around 1930. I want to be able to pin down where my grandfather and his
            brother lived.

            Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

            Richard W. Thomas MSU 65

          • Christine Clark
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005
              Joe,
              As I noted in my earlier e-mail, I am happy to help you. I have access to maps, libraries, Ancestry, etc. Please contact me privately so that we can discuss what you have done so far. I don't want to assume that you have done nothing or guess at name spellings, etc.
              Christine Clark
              Chicago