RE: [S-R] 1930 Chicago census or city directory

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
      I could not locate anyone by the name of Mrnka in the 1930 Census in
      Illinois. However, there is a WW1 registration card for John Mrnka, 3740
      Ward Street, Chicago, born "Tirnau, Austria" (Trnava SK?). He lived with his
      wife and her parents and was a butcher at 3937 N. Ashland Avenue. He owned
      his own business.

      Janet

    • x
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
        I cannot speak of course for all public libraries but here in Columbus, many records including Ancestry.com are available but not thru your home computer. Apparently the public libraries can subscribe on a state wide basis. For most home genealogists, Ancestry.com is simply much too expensive. You can also obtain genealogy programs etc. Public libraries are usually most helpful.

        Bud Whisler

        Ancestry.com has the 1930 federal census online. As you know, ancestry.com
        is a fee based service. However, there are always researchers who have paid
        the bill who are willing to do limited, reasonable lookups for others
        (including myself.) I'm not from or familiar with the Chicago area in terms
        of research, but can at least provide you copies of the documents.
        Good Luck,
        Bill

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
          Joe,
          Chicago's NEWBERRY LIBRARY - Genealogy section at 60 W. Walton Street
          1-312-255-3510, WWW.NEWBERRY.ORG closed SUN & Monday 9am-5pm Tue -Sat.
          They will have everything you want. Maps, all city directories, and
          wonderful helpers. It is also free. Contact me off line if you need more
          details.
          Simon R. Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
            In 1930 there was a John Mrencro (1878) with wife Mary and children Helen,
            Julius, Theodore and Earnest living at 710 W 118th St in Chicago. John and
            Mary are listed as from Czechoslovakia.

            I suggest including vowels in your search which will help approximate the
            way the name was said.

            Jim Crownover-
            CA
          • richard thomas

              Is there anyone that can give directions to finding someone in Chicago
              around 1930. I want to be able to pin down where my grandfather and his
              brother lived.

              Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

              Richard W. Thomas MSU 65

            • Christine Clark
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005
                Joe,
                As I noted in my earlier e-mail, I am happy to help you. I have access to maps, libraries, Ancestry, etc. Please contact me privately so that we can discuss what you have done so far. I don't want to assume that you have done nothing or guess at name spellings, etc.
                Christine Clark
                Chicago