RE: [S-R] 1930 Chicago census or city directory

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
      Ancestry.com has the 1930 federal census online. As you know, ancestry.com
      is a fee based service. However, there are always researchers who have paid
      the bill who are willing to do limited, reasonable lookups for others
      (including myself.) I'm not from or familiar with the Chicago area in terms
      of research, but can at least provide you copies of the documents.
      Good Luck,
      Bill

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
        I could not locate anyone by the name of Mrnka in the 1930 Census in
        Illinois. However, there is a WW1 registration card for John Mrnka, 3740
        Ward Street, Chicago, born "Tirnau, Austria" (Trnava SK?). He lived with his
        wife and her parents and was a butcher at 3937 N. Ashland Avenue. He owned
        his own business.

        Janet

      • x

          Is there anyone that can give directions to finding someone in Chicago
          around 1930. I want to be able to pin down where my grandfather and his
          brother lived.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---------------------------------

        • S. R.
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
            Joe,
            Chicago's NEWBERRY LIBRARY - Genealogy section at 60 W. Walton Street
            1-312-255-3510, WWW.NEWBERRY.ORG closed SUN & Monday 9am-5pm Tue -Sat.
            They will have everything you want. Maps, all city directories, and
            wonderful helpers. It is also free. Contact me off line if you need more
            details.
            Simon R. Krizan SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2005
              In 1930 there was a John Mrencro (1878) with wife Mary and children Helen,
              Julius, Theodore and Earnest living at 710 W 118th St in Chicago. John and
              Mary are listed as from Czechoslovakia.

              I suggest including vowels in your search which will help approximate the
              way the name was said.

              Jim Crownover-
              CA
            • richard thomas

                Is there anyone that can give directions to finding someone in Chicago
                around 1930. I want to be able to pin down where my grandfather and his
                brother lived.

                Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                Richard W. Thomas MSU 65

              • Christine Clark
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2005
                  Joe,
                  As I noted in my earlier e-mail, I am happy to help you. I have access to maps, libraries, Ancestry, etc. Please contact me privately so that we can discuss what you have done so far. I don't want to assume that you have done nothing or guess at name spellings, etc.
                  Christine Clark
                  Chicago