Re: [S-R] Digest Number 1971

  • Dans57@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2005
      Urba and Polefko names. I'm trying to help a new cousin in Arizona
      find some info on her grandfather and uncles who probably lived in
      Duquense in 1910 and 1920. Does anyone have access to Ancestry.com that
      would look to see if there is a Jozef or John Polefko listed in Duquense
      or McKeesport ares at that time frame. She says her grandfather was hurt
      in a coal mining accident in a town or mine called Lowber. A mining
      company named Westmoreland owned the mine. Is there any web sites that
      relate to coal mine accidents that might have info that she could use? I
      thought I once saw a coal mine website posted but, it was about a year
      ago I think. She was related also to some Urbans that lived in
      McKeesport, John , Mike, and a Jozef.
      I found a few of the Urbans for her in the Ellis Island files but
      only a couple Polefkos. They seem to be coming in from another port. I
      think the census info though is something she would really like to find
      out.
      Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!!

      Dan Almashy
      Danville , Va.
      DLAlmashy@...
      Vachevyman@...

      http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/OborinSlovakia

      http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/HomePictures
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 25, 2005
        Dan, do we have any idea of the village of origin in Slovakia/Hungary?
        Are any of the following EI listings "new news"?

        1 Polefka, Josef, USA 1913 4 b 1909
        2 Polefko, Josef, Miskolos, Hungary 1921 37 b 1884
        3 Polefko, Jozsef, Yuanco 1899 26 b 1873
        4 Polefua, Josef, Blabenca 1905 17 b 1888
        2 Urba, Angela, Lelenoiz, Hungary 1911 18 b 1893
        3 Urba, Anton, Braun 1904 45 b 1859
        5 Urba, Anton, Plumiro 1900 25 b 1875

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Dans57@w... wrote:

        > Urba and Polefko names. I'm trying to help . . . would look
        to see if there is a Jozef or John Polefko . . . Urbans . . .
        John , Mike, and a Jozef.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 25, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Dans57@w... wrote:

          > Urba and Polefko names. I'm trying to help a new cousin . . .

          The Slovak phone listings aren't a "proof" of anything BUT, there is
          only ONE listing for Polefko and that is in Presov, area code 051.
          Using that as the basis, we find URBAN(ova) 15X in Presov. This may be
          no more than wishful thinking.

          You might also see the old town names, formerly Eperjes, Sáros,
          Hungary (also known as Pressow or Fragopolis).

          With an approximate date for a birth or marriage (in Hungary), the
          Presov church records available at LDS/FHC might provide a useful link
          to the family genealogy.

          Good luck.
        • Marianne Petruska
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
            Here are a couple websites you can check for info on Coal Mining -- I
            think you may actually be looking for coal mining in Westmoreland
            County, PA, so I hope these can help. (I think one of them has links
            to other mining-related sites.)

            www.coalcampusa.com
            www.patheoldminer.rootsweb.com

            The "coalcampusa" site has lists of mining communities and photos
            from some of them.

            The "patheoldminer" has lists of mines/mining companiess & some of
            them list some of the miners who worked in the respective mines.

            Hope they help.

            MARIANNE

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Dans57@w... wrote:

            > Urba and Polefko names. I'm trying to help a new cousin in
            Arizona
            > find some info on her grandfather and uncles who probably lived in
            > Duquense in 1910 and 1920. Does anyone have access to Ancestry.com
            that
            > would look to see if there is a Jozef or John Polefko listed in
            Duquense
            > or McKeesport ares at that time frame. She says her grandfather was
            hurt
            > in a coal mining accident in a town or mine called Lowber. A mining
            > company named Westmoreland owned the mine. Is there any web sites
            that
            > relate to coal mine accidents that might have info that she could
            use? I
            > thought I once saw a coal mine website posted but, it was about a
            year
            > ago I think. She was related also to some Urbans that lived in
            > McKeesport, John , Mike, and a Jozef.
            > I found a few of the Urbans for her in the Ellis Island files
            but
            > only a couple Polefkos. They seem to be coming in from another
            port. I
            > think the census info though is something she would really like to
            find
            > out.
            > Thanks to all and Merry Christmas!!
            >
            > Dan Almashy
            > Danville , Va.
            > DLAlmashy@w...
            > Vachevyman@h...
            >

            > http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/OborinSlovakia
            >
            > http://community.webtv.net/Dans57/HomePictures

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 27, 2005
              John Polefko, age 41, and his wife Bertha, age 35, show up in the 1920
              Census for Duquesne (note the spelling) PA along with their children, Mary,
              John, Elizabeth, Andy, Joseph, Bertha, and Margaret. Both parents were born
              in Slovakia and spoke Slovak; all the children were born in Pennsylvania.
              John immigrated in 1895, Bertha in 1901. John was working as a laborer in a
              steel mill.

              John Polefko, age 51, and wife Barbara, age 45, are listed in the 1930
              Census for Duquesne, along with children Andrew, Joseph, Barbara, Margaret,
              Ellen, and Virginia. Judging from the ages, I suspect that Bertha in 1920 is
              the same as Barbara (both mother and daughter) in 1930. In this record,
              however, John indicated his native language was Magyar, while his wife spoke
              Czech.

              Although it would seem highly likely that these were the same family, it
              points out how unreliable census data can be, since it indicates different
              languages on the two censuses. A comparison of the birth dates of the
              children would probably confirm this, though I did not bother with that.

              Another John Polefko, age 25, and wife Ada, age 23, along with daughter
              Phoebe, are listed in McKeesport in the 1930 Census. However, it states that
              his parents were born in the United States.

              The Lowber bituminous coal mine was located in Sewickley Township,
              Westmoreland County, PA. Your cousin's grandfather might well have had an
              accident in the mines without it being an extensive mine disaster, as
              accidents were extremely common.

              Urban is a very common name. However a John and Mary Urban show up in the
              1930 Census for McKeesport along with their children Mary and Joseph. They
              were Magyar-speaking Hungarians. John was a shipper in a steel mill.

              A Joseph Urban, age 30, and his wife Grace, age 27, appear in the 1910
              Census for McKeesport. They were both Magyar-speaking Hungarians. He was a
              bartender in a hotel.

              A Joseph and Helen Urban also show up, along with children Georgia and
              Joseph, in the 1930 McKeesport Census. They were born in Pennsylvania.

              There is a World War I registration card for a Joseph Urban from McKeesport
              who lists a wife named Julia. He was born in 1878. He was a police officer
              in McKeesport.

              It is difficult to tell if these people are the ones you are seeking. I only
              looked for McKeesport and Duquesne, and they might be found in other towns
              in the same general area.

              If any of these entries look promising, I can look more extensively at what
              the census records have to say.

              Janet

            • Carl Kotlarchik
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 28, 2005
                Oh my goodness! This site (www.coalcampusa.com) takes me back about
                40 years. I grew up in the coal fields of Eastern Ohio. All my
                family worked in the mines there. My mother was born in Provident,
                Ohio.... a company town shown in the pictures at this website. I
                remember well those company duplexes across the street from her
                home. I worked at the Hanna Coal Co. which became part of Consol
                Coal, mining that #8 coal to put myself through college. I have not
                been back to Provident in about 35-40 years. Those pictures brought
                back a flood of memories and caused me to look up my own pictures of
                the town. I am constantly amazed at the information this forum
                provides. Thank you Marianne.

                Unfortunately, I could not get the link to the other website to work.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marianne Petruska"

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
                  You're welcome -- I'm just sorry you weren't able to access the other
                  website.

                  I'm glad the memories were good ones.

                  The "patches" in Crucible, Castle Shannon & several other areas shown
                  on the site you DID access are those where my family (cousins, Mom &
                  Dad & their respective parents) had lived. The one in Crucible still
                  exists, however some of the buildings shown for the mine there have
                  been demolished.

                  Always glad to share & help!

                  MARIANNE

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"