Re: My Christmas Wish List

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 22, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

      > Marianne,
      > in reading your posting, i was impressed by the fact that you took
      a year of
      > Russian to be able to read that letter. That will maybe help you
      again later
      > on as you find other documents.

      Thank you for your condolences. I actually took the Russian course
      in order to read the birth/baptismal certificate: It was written in
      Cyrllic because at the time my MGF applied for U.S. citizenship,
      county Ung had become part of Ukraine, so official documents were in
      Cyrillic. (The letter that accompanied the certificate was written
      in Hungarian. Mom had someone translate part of that and it didn't
      really have much info of genealogical significance.)

      > my father's sister told me that their side of the family lost touch
      with the
      > old country when the first World War broke out and correspondence
      was late,
      > lost or just not delivered.
      One of my paternal uncles who'd come to the U.S. went back when WWI
      broke out -- he was KIA. There's a monument in their village (or the
      neighboring village) that has his name & those of several other
      villagers on it. Though Dad's aunt and male cousin returned to the
      U.S. after WWI ended, Dad's female cousin died there (have yet to
      find the cause of death & the sons of the male cousin either don't
      know or just won't talk about it.)

      Mom's maternal grandparents went back to Slovakia around the time of
      WWI too. Mom's MGM was ailing & "didn't want to die in a strange
      place", even though Mom's MGP had lived in the U.S. for over 10 yrs
      at that time.

      > my mother's side lost touch for a few decades around the same time,
      but
      > picked up again in the early 1940's. my mother's mother grieved
      when relatives
      > that were here went back to Slovakia at that time. she knew that
      with World War
      > II, she would not see them again, and she was right. they wrote a
      few times
      > and asked for socks, gloves and money and then that was it. she
      never saw them
      > again.

      One of Dad's uncles came to the U.S. after WWI ended (bro. of the
      uncle KIA'd in Slovakia), and he had some contact with another
      brother (Dad's youngest uncle) who remained in Slovakia, however that
      contact ended in the 1980s, when Dad's Slovak uncle passed away,
      followed a couple years later by the death of the U.S. uncle.
      (Ironically, both Dad's uncles outlived Dad, who died in 1979.)
      These were relatives of Dad's mother. I know one of Dad's paternal
      uncles came to the U.S., however none of Dad's nieces & nephews (my
      cousins) have been able to come with any info on that uncle or his
      children/grandchildren.

      I don't think Mom or Dad's parents were ashamed of their "roots",
      however I think once they became "Americanized" they may have started
      to feel like their Slovak relatives had become strangers. Lucky are
      those whose parents/grandparents kept in touch with their families in
      Slovakia -- it's made their researching simpler.

      Though I wasn't able to learn much about them, I'm glad I had the
      chance to tell Mom at least a little more about her family that she'd
      known. (I even "met" one of her cousins on-line a couple years ago.
      It was very hard to tell her of Mom's passing.)

      > i am sorry on the passing of your mother.
      > noreen.

      Thank you again for your condolences.

      MARIANNE