Pittsburgh Research

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
      I abandoned Alaska for the holidays since it was too warm and messy
      with the melting going on and came down to a real winter in Ohio and
      PA. Between the holidays a cousin and I intend on going to
      Pittsburgh to look up old newspapers from around 1916 to perhaps 1918
      in an attempt to locate the death of a grandfather, Jan Vallo. I
      gather the microfilms are in the Carnegie library on the south side.
      Other than standard library reseearch years ago I have not been into
      research for many years and am not familiar with this library or
      their holdings.

      Can anyone offer specific advice on which branch is most likely to
      hold the films and where it is located? With my dislike of city
      traffic I will likely seek a hotel in the neighborhood so I can walk
      rather than drive and waste time looking for parking.

      Presuming success on finding date, place and time fo death, which
      office would I go to to purchase death certificate? I might as well
      do as much as I can at one time. Hotel suggestions would also be
      appreciated.

      Any suggestions on the forum or privately will be appreciated,
      including links that I should read.

      Ron
    • mkoschik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
        That big library that Ron (Bob?) referred to is the main branch of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh system (probably Andrew's biggest contribution since it also houses the Carnegie Museum). I think its address is listed as Forbes Ave. He's right in that it likely will be the best place to look. He's also right in that you should leave yourself time to visit the Nationality Rooms in the Cathedral of Learning. I'm partial to the Czechoslovak Room although others are more ornate. As for places to stay, can't think of any really close to the library, but there is a large motel on the Boulevard of the Allies, near Bates St., that isn't a long trek. When I was a kid, we lived a few blocks farther and my sister and I used to walk to the library all the time.
        Mike Koschik

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
          I've stayed at two hotels near the Cathedral --
          Hampton Inn and Quality Inn, both about one-mile
          south, which is about a 20-minute walk up the main
          drag -- pretty walk, hilly, but as long as you don't
          mind walking, you'll enjoy either one -- the Quality
          Inn is a bit cheaper. Enjoy Pittsburgh, lots of
          restaurants with menus posted on the internet, so do
          your homework before to save some time.

          Caye

          --- Bob Kaltenbaugh <bob.kaltenbaugh@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com