Re:

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 5:44 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Dan Greene" <dgreene@c...> wrote:
      > My husband's grandparents were Martin BURANOVSKI b. 1882 in
      Sverzov,
      and Catherine KULKA b. 1880 in Tarnov (both,outside of Bardejov) in
      what is now Slovakia. The family now goes by BURANOSKY.
      > We have documents with four different spellings for Martin's last
      name.

      > I've been told that if the name ends in "i", it is the Polish
      spelling. If it ends in "y", it is the Slovak spelling. I spoke to
      man whose last name is BURNOSKY (another of our spellings) and he
      claims the name is Ukrainian.

      > I guess what I'd like to know is...does it really make a
      difference?
      When these people were born the country was Austria-Hungary anyway.
      I'm confused and I think they might be too if they were still alive
      today. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

      Sverz^ov is located 202 miles ENE of Bratislava and 6 miles WNW of
      Bardejov, near the current Polish border in eastern Slovakia.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1800-1895)
      for Sverz^ov (included under Gaboltov (Gáboltó)
      And its G.C. parish church records (1827-1922) are included under
      Kurcov (Kuró)

      Family History Center (FHC).

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      The matriky (parish church records) were titled Krsntení
      (Baptisms),
      Sobás^ení (Marriages), and Zomrelí (Deaths) in Slovak.

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek (anyakönyve) :
      keresztelések (kereszteltek), házasságok (házasultak),
      halálozások
      (halottak) - same words as in Slovak above.

      Records are usually written in Hungarian and Latin, or Greek.

      Many Polish surnames end in -ski or -cki.
      In older records you sometimes read -sky (before spelling rules
      were adapted); but in recent times tendency to insist on -ski.
      Probably a possessive affix added to name which evolved from person's
      characteristics (such as 'tall, short, etc.), occupation, or place
      of residence.
      In Czech and Slovak, the -sky is akin to the Polish -ski, while -cky
      is similar to Polish -cki.
      Sometimes the letters i/y were used interchangeably in surnames.

      In most Slavic langauges the letter j is pron. y.
      Suppose that in Ukrainian the surname ending could be -skij .