Slovak Parish Priest Salaries 100 years ago

  • T Reimer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2005
      There was state support in older days. My grandfather (a Lutheran minister
      in Ratzersdorf, today Raca), received in the 1920s-30s the Congrua in
      addition to the salary collected by the local parish.

      Here is from the New Advent Encyclopedia of 1911

      "In 1909, after long negotiations, the question of the equalization of
      clerical salaries was finally settled (Art. XIII of 1909). The principal
      provisions of this law fix the salary of pastors of recognized religions at
      1600 Kronen ($320) with a minimum of 800 Kronen ($160); that of curates and
      assistant pastors at 1000 Kronen ($200), with a minimum of 800 Kronen
      ($160); the value of I board and lodging is included in the salary of a
      curate or assistant, and this is reckoned at 500 Kronen ($100). In order to
      meet the expenses of the equalization, the higher ecclesiastics of the
      Catholic Church are annually taxed to the amount of 700,000 Kronen
      ($140,000), and the Hungarian fund for religion to the amount of 1,200,000
      Kronen ($240,000). Ecclesiastical affairs are under the control of the
      Hungarian Ministry of Education and Public Worship, in which a separate
      department, having one of the higher church dignitaries at its head, has
      been formed. The appointment of bishops, canons, abbots, etc. belongs to the
      king and follows upon the presentation of the names, with ministerial
      approval, by the minister of education and public worship. The bishops enter
      upon their office, take their seats in the House of Magnates, and receive
      their revenues without awaiting the papal confirmation. A royal edict of
      1870 revived the old royal jus placeti and ordained that only after
      receiving royal approval could decisions, constitutions, and decrees of
      councils and popes be promulgated in Hungary. It should also be mentioned
      that the Bull "Ne Temere", recently issued by the Holy See in regard to
      mixed marriages, was not enforced in Hungary, owing to the representations
      of the Hungarian episcopate, but the provisions of the Constitution
      "Provida", issued for Germany in the same matter, 18 January, 1906, were
      also extended to Hungary."