Opinion Please

  • Becki Blair
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2005
      After having no luck weeding through films at my local Family History Center
      looking for ancestral information (mostly because I couldn't decipher the
      handwriting,the language or the condition of the documents the Mormon church
      filmed) I finally gave up and hired Vladimir Bohinc to find the information.
      He actually found the information before we had sealed the deal on ordering
      it!
      I'm very pleased with the amount of information he found for us.

      Now, my question....

      I'm painting a water color picture of a 'tree' that I can add our family
      names to with their birth date, place of birth, death date, place of death
      etc. I'm going to frame this for my fiance and give it to him for Christmas.
      (He doesn't know I got the info from Vladimir yet and thinks we won't get it
      until after the first of the year.)

      Our ancestor, George Pavlik (Juraj Pavlik) was born in Dolna Marikova, in
      1844, considered Hungary at the time and now Slovakia. I'm wondering which I
      should put on this family tree chart, what the country was called then or
      what it is called now?
      Becki

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2005
        I always document the place name in use at the time of the event.

        If you want, put a footnote at the very bottom of the page explaining the
        present-day name.

        You always want to look ahead to future generations, who may pick up the
        research. If you change or "doctor" the names, it will be extremely
        difficult to trace.

        Another reason, what would Juraj call his village? Most likely he would
        prefer the name in use at the time.

        My $0.02.
        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • mkoschik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2005
          Your message was heartwarming to read. My best wishes to you and your fiance.

          Mike Koschik

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2005
            Use the name of the country the US recognized in its
            census at the time. Spell the names as they appear on
            the documents. Make notes as to how they names of the
            country and people would be represented today, e.g.
            Hungary = Slovakia, Szakaly = Sakaly', etc.

            Dr. "Q"

            http://mail.yahoo.com