Hrebik and Laboda - Speckah

  • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2000
      Dear Matthew,

      I'm still learning about Slovakia and my family. What I have learned so for
      is that the names remembered by relatives from the 1900-1930 are a little
      fuzzy. An example was the instance that relatives came from "Z^iz^kov",
      there is no Zizkov in Slovakia, there are many in the Czech Republic. After
      investigating, I found a record from 1902 with the word "Hrus^ov". Turns
      out that the whole bunch can be traced back to present day Spis^sky Hrus^ov
      near Spis^ska Nova Ves. Soooo, zizkov - hrusov?; after 80 years they could
      sound alike to a youngster listening to an Aunt with very little formal
      education.

      Is the name Speckah a remembered name or in a written record?

      There is S^pirka in north eastern Slovakia, hard to describe the location,
      there is a whole group of towns in the general area and none of are of any
      great size, e.g. D^ura, Bedna're, Pod Hrus^ky, Dunajec, 7 km south west of
      Szczawnica (Poland), 24 km northwest of Stara' L'ubon^a, 40 km west of
      Bardejov, 55 km northwest of Pres^ov, 300 km northeast of Bratislava.

      Hope this helps.

      Dr. "Q"