"oy yoy yoy"

  • Michael Hamilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2005
      Greetings to all,
      I couldn't help but weigh in on the "oy yoy yoy" topic. I have heard my mother, age 82, use the expression in the very same way as described. I confirmed with her that her mother, in fact, used the very same expression. Her mother was Maria Poszipanka, born in 1886 in Darocz, Ung, Hungary( Now Dravtse, Ukraine). Maria's mother Julia Pajkas was from Darocz and her father Michael Poszipanka was from Bezo, Ung, Hungary.
      I am researching the following surnames: POSZIPANKA & PAJKAS from Ung megye near Bajanhaza, (now Bajany) Bezo, Darocz , and VRABELY, HIRJAK, KMETZ, MATYIOVA, KONDICSKO, SZLABODICH from Zemplen megye near Varanno. (now Vranov Nad Toplou) Villages include, Kamenna Poruba, Davidov, Sacurov, Sedliska, Podcicva, Tovarne, Ondavske Matiasovce.
      Merry Christmas to all.
      Mike

    • MA Bensh
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2005
        FYI - On The Apprentice on TV last night, Donald Trump used uy-yuy-yuy.

        Melissa