Re: [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak...?

  • Alan Antoska
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2005
      I increasingly find myself using the expression today -
      perhaps its an age thing as my parents (Liptov area,
      central-north Slovakia, circa 1900-40) were also very prone
      to the expression, as u describe.

      I suspect that the expression has greater currency than
      merely eastern slovakia and is not religion specific. It
      certainly is more PC than "Oh #*!"

      --- "J." <cousinjanie1004@...> wrote:

      > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about
      > 10 miles from Ukraine border.
      >
      > She always used the expression in this form:
      > oy - yoy - yoy
      >
      > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
      >
      > Sometimes it would sound like:
      > OY - yoy - yoy
      > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath;
      > not said directly to anyone, but
      > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
      >
      > Sometimes it would sound like:
      > oy - yoy - YOY
      > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another
      > person as Baba's reaction of
      > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that
      > person had just told her.
      >
      > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy'
      > to cover almost any situation that
      > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
      >
      > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the
      > same way. I also have also picked
      > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only
      > among family & close friends. We all
      > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
      >
      > Has anyone else had this experience?

    • Paula
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 15, 2005
        My family originated form Hungary and I grew up hearing 'jojj' and I use it to this day. Mom's whole family used to say that for different situations. It was pronounced more of a 'yuyy' than the 'oy' sound. Like mother, like daughter. : )

        paula

      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
          Hi Karen:

          The village of NIZNA SLANA is in the GEMER region of SLOVAKIA. The nearest
          large town is ROZNAVA, and if you follow the valley as it winds north, you
          will the village of NIZNA SLANA past BETLIAR CASTLE and before GOCOVO. Because
          NIZNA SLANA has several diacritical marks, it may sometimes not come up in
          some search queries, in which case, type the name of the village of HENCKOVCE
          which is adjacent to NIZNA SLANA. By the way, GEMERI literally means "FROM
          GEMER" in Hungairan.

          My HRONEC clan is from ROZNAVA and the villages north of ROZNAVA (such as
          NADABULA, CUCMA), and other HRONEC's are farther north of NIZNA SLANA in
          GOCOVO, so if you come across that name, which is very likely in this valley,
          please definitely contact me. Below are a list of the surnames in my direct
          lineage. There are also several other researchers in the GEMER area that I am
          aware of, and they are either participants in this forum and/or on the DELPHI
          FORUM (which can be accessed through Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Slovakia
          Genealogical Research Strategies website at www.iabsi.com ). I will keep an eye out
          for the GEMERI surname. What other surnames are you researching?

          Please feel free to contact me directly at _David1Law@..._
          (mailto:David1Law@...)

          Best regards,

          David

          Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
          HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
          RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
          (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
          VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV, STARY
          SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
          surrounding area)

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
            The expression is all over the Eastern European community of Jews. Oy Vey,
            oy yoy yoy...
            I still say it!
            My family is from the Carpathian Mountains area near Munkacs...Svalyava.
            which is now the Ukraine I guess, western ukraine, but used to be Hungary and
            Czechoslovakia.

            DAniel Wachtenheim

            <BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's new at http://www.aol.com</HTML>

          • Regina Haring
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
              But my baba pronounced it a little differently from the Jewish Oy Yoy Yoy - best described the way the original poster wrote it y o o y y o o y or maybe (in English) "you - ee" not "yoy"
              Regina Haring

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                In a message dated 11/12/2007 7:32:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                rmharing@... writes:

                But my baba pronounced it a little differently from the Jewish Oy Yoy Yoy -
                best described the way the original poster wrote it y o o y y o o y or maybe
                (in English) "you - ee" not "yoy"
                Regina Haring

                Hi Regina,
                "Oy Yooy yooy" is how I remember my aunts saying it. The family was from
                the Spis county of Slovakia.
                The Jewish neighbors said something that sounded like Oy Givulch. Wonder
                what that ever meant.
                Noreen

              • Regina Haring
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                  Yes, Noreen, I remember hearing *somewhere* "oy givulch" or something like that. My grandparents were from Spis, Saros and Zemplin - so definitely eastern Slovakia. The dialect they spoke is called "Spis". I've been told it was different enough from what was spoken in central Slovakia, that the ancestors would have had trouble reading newspapers written in what became "standard" Slovak, that spoken in the central part of the country.
                  Regina

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                    "Oy gevald (gevalt)" is a Yiddish expression of dismay, meaning literally "Oh, violence" ("Violence is happening, please come and help me").

                    I still say Oy-yoy-yoy, learned from my grandmother from Poland (she came from near Rzeszow).

                    Joe

                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                      Joe, thank you so much for translating the meaning of "Oy gevald." I never
                      knew what it meant and after 55 years, now, thanks to you, I finally do.
                      much appreciated.
                      Noreen

                      "Oy gevald (gevalt)" is a Yiddish expression of dismay, meaning literally
                      "Oh, violence" ("Violence is happening, please come and help me").

                      I still say Oy-yoy-yoy, learned from my grandmother from Poland (she came
                      from near Rzeszow).

                      Joe

                    • Robert Shive
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007
                        My mother's family was from Also Mislye, near Kosice. The expression I heard was "oy-yoy-yoy" or what sounded like "oy kevolt". If it's Yiddish in origin, I guess it goes to show what influences are spread within ethnic groups, sometimes without their even knowing it.

                        "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:
                        "Oy gevald (gevalt)" is a Yiddish expression of dismay, meaning literally "Oh, violence" ("Violence is happening, please come and help me").

                        I still say Oy-yoy-yoy, learned from my grandmother from Poland (she came from near Rzeszow).

                        Joe

                      • Edie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 26, 2007
                          Hi! "I guess it goes to show what influences are spread within ethnic groups, sometimes without their even knowing it." I agree with you! Did you know there's a delicious line of marinades and sauces called Soy Vay? My family really likes them.
                          Edie

                          -----